Home / Accueil

198 St. Andrew Street West

198, St. Andrew Street W., Township of Centre Wellington, Ontario, N1M, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1998/09/20

Second floor windows exhibiting side brackets and decorated surmounts, 2007.; Lindsay Benjamin, 2007.
Detail of 198 St. Andrew Street West
West façade of 198 St. Andrew Street West, 2007; Lindsay Benjamin, 2007.
Façade of 198 St. Andrew Street West
No Image

Other Name(s)

198 St. Andrew Street West
Fergus Municipal Office

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)


Listed on the Canadian Register: 2008/09/02

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

198 St. Andrew Street West is situated on the south side of the street. Facing west, it looks down Provost Lane, in the Town of Fergus, Township of Centre Wellington. This two-and-a-half-storey coursed limestone and sandstone building was designed in the Italianate style and it was constructed in 1881.

The property was designated by the Town of Fergus for its heritage value under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law 98-083).

Heritage Value

198 St. Andrew Street West exemplifies the Italianate style. The building was constructed in 1881 and was originally used as a private garage or stable. The north facade was constructed using two building materials; the first floor is limestone from Guelph, while the second floor is red sandstone from the Credit Valley. The corners of both floors are emphasized by quoins, which on the first floor have mortar filled recesses. The east and south walls are constructed of splattered cement on limestone rubble. The second and third floors boast dormer windows, which on the third floor light the attic space. The second floor windows exhibit side brackets and decorated surmounts. The roof is complimented by a simple cornice.

Several alterations were made to the building in order to convert it to a municipal office. An addition was added to the south elevation and the windows on the second floor, which light the Council Chamber, have been enlarged horizontally. In 1987, an overhead bridge, connecting the building to the Fergus Library, next door, was attached to the east wall. In addition, the entire first floor was renovated, to accommodate space, for offices.

Source: Town of Fergus By-law 98-083.

Character-Defining Elements

Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of 198 St. Andrew Street West include its:
- north facade of limestone and sandstone, including quoins
- east and south elevations of splattered cement on limestone rubble
- dormer windows on the second and third floor, including side brackets and decorated surmounts
- double hung sashes, undivided
- simple cornice




Recognition Authority

Local Governments (ON)

Recognition Statute

Ontario Heritage Act

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

1998/01/01 to 1998/01/01
1987/01/01 to 1987/01/01

Theme - Category and Type

Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type


Commerce / Commercial Services
Office or Office Building



Architect / Designer




Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Township of Centre Wellington 1 MacDonald Square Elora, ON N0B 1S0

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places