7406, Gilroy Road, City of Ottawa, Ontario, K7A, Canada
Links and documents
1861/01/01 to 1900/01/01
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Gilroy Farm consists of a two-storey, gable-roofed log house and seven out-buildings constructed of log, board and batten, and clapboard. The house and some out-buildings were built by 1861 with the remainder of the out-buildings constructed by 1900. The Gilroy Farm is located on 7406 Gilroy Road within the Marlborough Forest and is the finest example in former Rideau Township of a complete log homestead.
The City of Ottawa recognized the heritage value of the Gilroy Farm in By-Law 30/79 on March 1, 1979.
Formerly known as the Regional Forest Reserve, the Gilroy Farm lies within the Marlborough Forest, an area with rich soil and ideal for farming. Its siting within the forest screen the homestead from the road and the visual intrusions of modern day.
The Gilroy Farm is associated with its original owner, Patrick Gilroy. Gilroy emigrated from Ireland and is reputed to have settled in Rideau Township by 1845 and resided on the lot, upon which the Gilroy Farm now stands, beginning in 1851. The Gilroy Farm and its association with Patrick Gilroy reflect early immigration and settlement in the area. The Gilroy Farm is the finest existing example, in the former Rideau Township, of a complete log homestead.
The Gilroy Farm reflects upon early economic development in the area through its beginnings as an agricultural base in the former Rideau Township. The Gilroy Farm consists of a house and seven out-buildings and it is documented to have employed farm labourers well into the 1930s. The out-buildings, used as a machine shed, carriage house, hay barn, cattle barn, chicken house, and horse stable were constructed at various times between 1861 and 1930.
Sources: City of Ottawa By-Law 30/79; Rideau Township Archives L.A.C.A.C Files; City of Ottawa XMM3200/0003413.
Character defining elements that reflect the heritage value of the Gilroy Farm include its:
- log, board and batten, and clapboard exteriors on the out-buildings
- simple rectangular, gable-roofed out-buildings
- rounded log exterior on the original structure of the house
- squared log exterior on the east end of the house
- board and batten exterior on the rear of the house
- horizontal clapboard exterior on the second storey of the house
- four-paned, double-hung windows
- roughly cut timbers framing the windows on all facades of the house
- stone foundation on the root cellar
- rough horizontal and vertical planks on the exterior of the root cellar
- L-shaped opening on the four adjoined out-buildings
- gabled-roofs on the out-buildings.
- siting in the Marlborough Forest with no visible 20th century intrusions nearby
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
Theme - Category and Type
- Peopling the Land
- Developing Economies
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
- Food Supply
- Farm or Ranch
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of Ottawa
110 Laurier Avenue West
Cross-Reference to Collection