Home / Accueil

24 Circular Road Municipal Heritage Building

St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, A1C, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2001/07/23

Exterior photo showing front facade, taken February 2005, looking north.; HFNL 2005
24 Circular Road, St. John's, NL.
Exterior photo showing rear facade, looking south. Photo taken 2006.; HFNL 2006
24 Circular Road, St. John's, NL.
View of main facade, looking north.  Photo taken October 26, 2007.; Deborah O'Rielly/ HFNL 2007
24 Circular Road, St. John's

Other Name(s)


Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2008/11/25

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

24 Circular Road is a two-and-one-half storey, wooden dwelling built in the Queen Anne Revival style of architecture. Surrounded by mature trees it overlooks Rennie’s Mill Valley at the rear, and historic Circular Road at the front. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.

Heritage Value

24 Circular Road has been designated a Municipal Heritage Building for its aesthetic and historical values.

24 Circular Road is aesthetically valuable because it is a good example of the Queen Anne Revival style of architecture. Painted in a traditional yellow ochre, this dwelling house has many elements of this style. The overall shape of 24 Circular Road is typically Queen Anne Revival with the use of varying roof forms and a corner turret. As well, an open, covered verandah wraps around the house and it has decorative support columns. Details such as the dentils, palladian window, stained glass windows and narrow, wooden clapboard add interest to this merchant-class home.

24 Circular Road is historically valuable because of its associations with two prominant Newfoundlanders, George W.B Ayre (1879-1945) and Hazen A. Russell (1892- 1983). This residence was the home of George W.B. Ayre, a lawyer who played a prominent role in the development of amateur sports in Newfoundland. He was the founder of the Newfoundland Amateur Athletic Association, May 27, 1921.

Hazen A. Russell played an important role in the innovation of the Newfoundland fishing industry. While managing the Fisherman’s Union Trading Company for William F. Coaker, he was the first to pay fisherman cash for their catch. While he was a director at Job Brothers, he campaigned for fresh-frozen processing of fish. Later, as owner of Bonavista Cold Storage Ltd. he introduced the first stern trawler to the fishery.

Source: City of St. John's, Meeting held July 23, 2001.

Character-Defining Elements

All those elements of the Queen Anne Revival style of architecture, including:
-wooden shingles, turret, varying roof forms, etc.;
-narrow wooden clapboard;
-shape, size and placement of windows;
-original door opening with wood panel door, dentil motif trim, transom and pilasters;
- covered, open verandah with support columns; and
-coloured patterned glass on windows.



Newfoundland and Labrador

Recognition Authority

City of St. John's

Recognition Statute

City of St. John's Development Regulations

Recognition Type

City of St. John's Heritage Building

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type


Multiple Dwelling


Single Dwelling

Architect / Designer




Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador
1 Springdale Street, St. John’s Newfoundland,
A1C 5V5

City Archive

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places