Fort Simpson, Northwest Territories, X0E, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Lafferty House is a one-and-a-half storey squared-log dwelling built circa 1929. It is located at the north end of the village of Fort Simpson, close to the waterfront. Only the building is designated.
The heritage value of the Lafferty House stems from its unbroken association with a pioneering family. The Laffertys, a proud Metis family, have been in the Fort Simpson area since 1790, and were long active in the fur trade. The house was constructed by Jim Lafferty and his father around 1929; its entire history has been one of continuous use by, and association with the Lafferty family. The house is in relatively good condition and is an excellent, original example of Metis architecture.
Source: Village of Fort Simpson Heritage Bylaw.
The heritage value of the Lafferty House is defined by the following elements:
- The squared-log construction featuring square-notched corners
- Its one-and-a-half storey design incorporating original construction materials, styles, and layout
- Its cedar-shingled roof
- The location of the structure on its original site
Village of Fort Simpson
Village of Fort Simpson Heritage By-Law
Village of Fort Simpson Municipal Historic Site
Theme - Category and Type
- Peopling the Land
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Fort Simpson Heritage Bylaw 601 as amended, Village of Fort Simpson
Cross-Reference to Collection