Home / Accueil

7 Monkstown Road Municipal Heritage Building

St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, A1C, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2002/09/23

Detailed view of the windows showing bonnetted dormer and eaves brackets. Photo taken 1990s.; HFNL 2007
Detail, 7 Monkstown Road
East view of 7 Monkstown Road, showing main facade and north side. Photo taken 1990s.; HFNL 2007
7 Monkstown Road, St. John's
West view of 7 Monkstown Road, rear facade.  Photo taken 1990s.; HFNL 2007
Rear facade, 7 Monkstown Road

Other Name(s)


Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2008/11/25

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

7 Monkstown Road is a wooden, two-and-one-half storey, Second Empire house located in the city of St. John’s, in an area known as Georgestown. The Municipal Heritage designation is confined to the footprint of the building.

Heritage Value

7 Monkstown Road has been designated by the City of St. John’s because it has aesthetic and historic values.

7 Monkstown Road is aesthetically valuable because this structure is an elaborate example of Second Empire (modified) architecture and differs from the more common Southcott Second Empire designs, which became typical in the area after the Great Fire of 1892. Decorative details of this style include the saw-tooth decorative work in the bonneted dormers, a single-storey bow window, decorative brackets, and the frieze with panels and roundel modified pilasters. The peaked Mansard roof and side portico contribute to the detail of this ornate home.

7 Monkstown Road has historic value because of its associations with John S. Currie, politician and journalist, who resided there from 1913 to ca. 1925, though the house is believed to have been built between 1854 and 1879. Mr. Currie was elected to the House of Assembly in 1913 as the member of the Burin District until 1920. During his time in government he helped to organize the Permanent Marine Disaster Fund. This fund was provided for dependants of any fisherman or seaman who was injured or killed in a marine disaster. In 1916, Mr. Currie became editor of the Daily News; a position he held until his death in 1956.

Source: City of St. John’s, Council Meeting held 2002/09/23

Character-Defining Elements

All those elements that embody the Second Empire design, including;
-narrow wooden clapboard;
-window openings and fenestration;
-covered verandah with decorative spindle work;
-original entrance door with transom and small shelf decoration;
-the decorative fascia;
-frieze with its panel and roundel motif;
-detailed saw-tooth designs on dormers and pilasters;
-returned eaves;
-two three-pot chimneys; and
-mansard roof with extended steep gable pitch.



Newfoundland and Labrador

Recognition Authority

City of St. John's

Recognition Statute

Newfoundland and Labrador Urban and Rural Planning Act

Recognition Type

City of St. John's Heritage Building

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type



Single Dwelling

Architect / Designer




Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador
1 Springdale Street, St. John’s Newfoundland,
A1C 5V5

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places