Waterloo Post Office
35, King Street N., City of Waterloo, Ontario, N2L, Canada
Waterloo Post Office
35 King Street North
Links and documents
1911/01/01 to 1913/01/01
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Waterloo Post Office located at 35 King Street North, is situated at the northwest corner of King Street North and Dupont Street, in the City of Waterloo. The ground floor of this three-storey building is clad in sandstone, while the upper two floors are clad in red-brick. It was designed in the Romanesque style of Canadian Federal Post Offices and it was constructed in 1912.
The property was designated, for its heritage value, by the City of Waterloo, under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law 88-183).
The clock and tower of the Waterloo Post Office command the streetscape of the city's downtown core, acting as a prominent landmark at the corner of King and Dupont Streets.
The local Dominion Life Assurance Company, donated the land to the Crown in 1909. Prior to World War I, army cadets used the large rear portion of the building, for armoury and drill work. Inside, the Post Office occupied the first floor of the building, the Customs Office was on the second floor, and a caretaker's apartment was on the third floor. In 1967, the building was transferred to private ownership and was leased to the University of Waterloo, for its Optometry School until 1975.
The Waterloo Post Office was constructed in the Romanesque style, a style often used for Federal Post Offices, in the early 20th century. The exterior features include round-arches and rusticated sandstone around the window openings of the upper floors. The use of rusticated sandstone on the ground floor was a developing trend towards the construction of fortress-like structures and represented strength, stability and power of the armouries and the postal system. It also represented the independence and pride of the country in general. The original imposing corner clock was removed, due to decay in 1956, and a modern one was added in 1969. In 1987 a sympathetic clock, based on the original drawings and specifications, restored the original look of the building.
Sources: Designated Landmarks, City of Waterloo, LACAC, 1995; The Waterloo Post Office, Marg Zavaros and Marg Rowell; By-law 88-183, City of Waterloo.
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of the Waterloo Post Office include its:
- round arches
- rusticated sandstone on the ground floor and around the window openings of the upper floors
- sympathetic clock tower restoration
- clock and tower which serve as a landmark in Waterloo's downtown core
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
1988/01/01 to 1988/01/01
1987/01/01 to 1987/01/01
1944/01/01 to 1944/01/01
1969/01/01 to 1969/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Governing Canada
- Government and Institutions
Function - Category and Type
- Commerce / Commercial Services
- Office or Office Building
- Post Office
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of Waterloo
100 Regina Street S.
Cross-Reference to Collection