Home / Accueil

The Brick House / William Mutch House

29 Stratford Road, Stratford, Prince Edward Island, C1B, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2008/11/10

Showing front elevation; Images East Photography, 2008
Showing front elevation
Showing side elevation; Images East Photography, 2008
Showing side elevation
Showing back elevation; Images East Photography, 2008
Showing back elevation

Other Name(s)

n/a

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1828/01/01

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2008/11/25

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

This early brick house was built in the late 1820s in the Maritime Vernacular style. It features a symmetrical facade, gable roof, and large central gabled dormer. The entrance door features a transom window. A wooden addition extends from the back of the house.

Heritage Value

The house is valued for its Maritime Vernacular architectural style, brick construction, and for its association with the Mutch family.

Alexander Mutch (1756-1828) arrived in St. John's Island (PEI) in 1786 with Governor Edmund Fanning. Mutch had been born in New Machar parish in Aberdeenshire, Scotland. He and his brother joined the British army and served the Loyalist cause in the American Revolutionary War. Mutch received the rank of major and a land grant for his service to the Crown. In 1788, he moved to Fullerton's Creek in what is today the Mount Herbert area. He was married twice and the fourth child of his second marriage was William Mutch (1811-1884). William would move to Southport and build the current house in 1828 on what was then a 200 acre property.

Brick houses were a rare sight, especially in rural PEI, due to their cost. However, of the nine brick kilns operating on the Island in the late 19th century, seven of them could be found in Lot 48 where Southport is located. William became known by the nickname, "Brickhouse William" and his house is an example of a dwelling made from bricks produced by one of these 19th century kilns.

The style is Maritime Vernacular with a symmetrical facade, central entrance, and large centred gable dormer. A century later, in 1928, a wooden extension was added to the back of the house to expand the kitchen.

The house remained in the Mutch family for several generations, passing from William to Henry Mutch (1848-1911); then to his son, Perley Mutch (1878-1953); and to his son, Harry Mutch. Harry sold it in 1959 to Richard MacKinnon. The current owner purchased it in 1993.

Source: Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Communities, Cultural Affairs and Labour, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/S19

Character-Defining Elements

The heritage value of the house is shown in the following character-defining elements:

- the sandstone foundation
- the symmetrical facade with central entrance
- the Island brick construction
- the gable roof
- the brick chimneys
- the large centred dormer with gable roof and palladian style window
- the original window fenestration
- the extension at the back of the main house

Recognition

Jurisdiction

Prince Edward Island

Recognition Authority

Province of Prince Edward Island

Recognition Statute

Heritage Places Protection Act

Recognition Type

Registered Historic Place

Recognition Date

2008/11/10

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

n/a

Theme - Category and Type

Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type

Current

Historic

Residence
Single Dwelling

Architect / Designer

n/a

Builder

n/a

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Communities, Cultural Affairs and Labour, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8 File #: 4310-20/S19

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

4310-20/S19

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places