Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
This large Georgian style house has been substantially renovated and includes a symmetrical facade with central entrance with transom and sidelights; a gable roof with eave returns; and a large dormer with palladian style window.
The house is valued for its Georgian architectural style and for its association with the early history of Southport and Stratford.
Located on what was once the Ferry Road (now Bayside Drive), the house was a prominent structure on the road leading to the ferry which moved people and facilitated commercial activity between Charlottetown and Southport before the construction of the Hillsborough Bridge.
It was built in 1843 as a residence, it was used for many other purposes over the years. This included a hotel, funeral home, and butcher shop. The top storey with the palladian style dormer window was used as a dance hall and for theatrical productions. A separate stairway outside the house gave public access to the room. It had a raised stage at one end and side dressing rooms. This large room was also used for militia training and for civic purposes by the local government.
The home was purchased by James Cahill in the early 1920s. Cahill, originally from Alberton, relocated to Charlottetown following the Great Flu of 1918 which claimed several of his children. Cahill moved his family to Southport when he went to work for fox rancher Dr. Leo Frank in Rosebank.
In 1998, the building was turned 180 degrees and substantially renovated, enhancing its Georgian architectural style with new windows, a central entrance with transom and sidelights all covered by a portico. A new sunroom with balcony was added to one side, while a car port or porte cochere was added to the other. The house is situated on well maintained grounds highlighted by decorative trees and shrubs.
Source: Heritage Places files, PEI Department of Education, Early Learning & Culture, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/S15
The heritage value of the house is shown in the following character-defining elements:
- the two-and-one-half storey wood frame construction
- the symmetrical facade
- the central entrance with transom and sidelights
- the portico over the entrance
- the gable roof with eave returns
- the brick chimney
- the decorative cornices and corner pilasters
- the centred dormer with palladian style window
- the sunroom with balcony
- the porte cochere
Prince Edward Island
Province of Prince Edward Island
Heritage Places Protection Act
Registered Historic Place
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Heritage Places files, PEI Department of Education, Early Learning & Culture, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/S15
Cross-Reference to Collection