Home / Accueil

Presbyterian Kirk

180 Brunswick Street, St George, New Brunswick, E5C, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2006/05/08

Front view of building with white fence and open portal; Town of St. George
Presbyterian Kirk
No Image
No Image

Other Name(s)

Presbyterian Kirk
The Kirk
The Kirk
First Community Church
Première église communautaire

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)


Listed on the Canadian Register: 2008/12/04

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

Presbyterian Kirk is a single storey, Loyalist style religious building located at the juncture of Brunswick Street and Wallace Street in the Town of St. George. The building is painted white with yellow ornamentation above the main entrance. A white picket fence with open portal leads to well-maintained grounds and the front entrance of the church. A name plaque is located on the fence.

Heritage Value

Presbyterian Kirk is designated a Local Historic Place for its architecture and for its continuous use as place of worship since 1790.

Built in 1790, Presbyterian Kirk is an example of Loyalist religious architecture. This style is evident in its simple rectangular massing and use of classical elements such as the large pediment in the front gable and the overall symmetry of the building. The aesthetic of the site is enhanced by the white picket fence with open portal leading to well-maintained grounds.

Presbyterian Kirk is also recognized for being the oldest Presbyterian Church in continuous use in Canada today. From 1790 to 1854, many faiths used the church for their spiritual services until they could afford to build churches of their own.

Source: Charlotte County Archives, St. Andrews. St. George Register of Local Historic Places Collection, Site File #010

Character-Defining Elements

The character-defining elements that describe Presbyterian Kirk include:
- single-storey rectangular massing;
- gable roof forming a large pediment on the front façade;
- yellow semi-circular ornamentation in the centre of the pediment tympanum;
- symmetrical location and dimension of windows;
- field stone cellar;
- inscription on the plaque "BUILT BY FIRST SETTLERS - 1790 - OLDEST BUILDING IN CANADA USED AS A PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH - Charlotte County Historical Society";
- white picket fence with an open portal leading to well-maintained grounds.



New Brunswick

Recognition Authority

Local Governments (NB)

Recognition Statute

Local Historic Places Program

Recognition Type

Municipal Register of Local Historic Places

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

1790/01/01 to 1854/01/01

Theme - Category and Type

Building Social and Community Life
Religious Institutions
Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type


Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Religious Facility or Place of Worship


Architect / Designer




Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Charlotte County Archives, St. Andrews, NB - St. George Historic Places File #010

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places