Description of Historic Place
39 Doon Valley Drive is situated on the southwest corner of Pinnacle Drive and Doon Valley Drive, in the City of Kitchener. The exterior of this one-and-a-half storey building is constructed of limestone set in lime mortar, giving the appearance of cut stone, and was constructed circa 1840.
The property was designated, for its architectural and historic value, by the City of Kitchener, under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law 91-142).
39 Doon Valley Drive is situated on a country lane made up of a tar and chip road surface, without curbs and gutters. This lane is representative of the historical alignment of roads in the area. The trees, fields and proximity to the road added to the rural context for this house.
39 Doon Valley Drive is associated with three prominent citizens of Waterloo County. The first owner, the Honourable Adam Ferrie, was the founder of Doon Village. Samuel Snider, who purchased the property from Ferrie, owned the Blair Mill, as well as other mills that he and a partner operated in Bridgeport and Baden. Thomas Slee, one of the first trustees of the area, and the Doon Postmaster from 1867 to 1893, was the last significant owner of the property, purchasing it from Snider in 1878. In addition to its association with persons of historic significance, Doon Valley Drive (formerly Doon Village Road), was once an important linkage between the Village of Doon to Tow Town and Oregon (today Upper Doon).
39 Doon Valley Drive is unique in its use of building materials and the methods of construction. This one-and-a-half-storey house combined granite, limestone, fieldstone and lime mortar in its construction. It retains many original, intact features, such as the stone chimney with cove moulding, and the single door with a transom, on the north façade.
Sources: City of Kitchener Heritage Property Report, November 1990, Jean Haalboom; City of Kitchener By-law 91-142.
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of 39 Doon Valley Drive include its:
- location on Doon Valley Drive (formerly Doon Village Road) a link between the Village of Doon to Tow Town, and Oregon (today known as Upper Doon) in the 1850s
- north, east and west elevations
- wood gable board and fascia
- wood soffit with a v-frieze board
- stone chimney with stone cove moulding above the east gable
- wood sash, sill and casing of all windows
- single door with transom on the north façade
- siting amongst the trees on the property – maple, birch, white spruce and elders along the fence line beside the road
- location and alignment to the historic tar and chip lane of the former Doon Village Road