Home / Accueil

St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church

268 Shore Road, Cardigan, Prince Edward Island, C0A, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2008/12/09

Showing southeast elevation; Province of PEI, Donna Collings, 2008
Showing southeast elevation
Showing northwest elevation; Province of PEI, Donna Collings, 2008
Showing northwest elevation
Archive image - southeast elevation with spire; Highlights of Cardigan and Area, 1987
Archive image - southeast elevation with spire

Other Name(s)


Links and documents

Construction Date(s)


Listed on the Canadian Register: 2008/12/16

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

This well preserved Gothic Revival church is located near its cemetery on a hill near the Cardigan River. It features a main sanctuary with an ell shaped addition on the south side. Both have gable roofs. An entrance tower on the east side was once part of the original design, but has been removed. Several pointed arch Gothic windows with tracery accent the design of the building.

Heritage Value

The church is valued for its Gothic Revival architectural style and for its association with the history of the Presbyterian faith in the area.

The Presbyterians of Cardigan originally shared a minister with those in nearby Georgetown. In 1882, a reorganization led to their sharing a minister with Dundas. He was the Rev. Ewen Gillis of Earltown, Nova Scotia. He was inducted to serve the two communities on November 25, 1884. He remained there until November of 1888. He lived in a manse in Cardigan and during his time, the congregation flourished. It was determined that a new church building was needed for Cardigan.

In September 1885, the land for the new church was conveyed from Donald Stewart. The Summerside architect, George Baker (1844-1928) designed the new structure and it was constructed by Schurman's for the cost of $3700. It opened for worship services on January 10, 1889 and was immediately celebrated by the Daily Examiner newspaper as "one of the finest country churches in the province." In 1888, the Cardigan congregation was further reorganized as a separate charge with its own resident minister. After Rev. Gillis, this was Rev. Adam Gunn, who was inducted in July 1891.

Additional land for the church was acquired in 1902 from Neil Nicholson. The building remains a well preserved Gothic Revival church despite some renovations over the years. These include the removal of the octagonal spire in the the 1940s after it had become deteriorated. In recent decades, a new concrete basement was added to accommodate suppers and community events.

Today, St. Andrew's shares a minister with St. Andrew's in Montague and has an active youth group and choirs.

Source: Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Communities, Cultural Affairs and Labour, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/TR4

Character-Defining Elements

The heritage value of the church is shown in the following character-defining elements:

- the wood frame construction and wooden clapboard siding
- the gable roofline
- the brick chimney
- the variety and sizes of pointed arch windows with tracery
- the rectangular main sanctuary with wing addition on the south side
- the truncated entrance tower which once had a spire rising to 75 feet



Prince Edward Island

Recognition Authority

Province of Prince Edward Island

Recognition Statute

Heritage Places Protection Act

Recognition Type

Registered Historic Place

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Philosophy and Spirituality

Function - Category and Type



Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Religious Facility or Place of Worship

Architect / Designer




Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Communities, Cultural Affairs and Labour, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8 File #: 4310-20/TR4

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places