Home / Accueil

Eaton Building

457 Milltown Boulevard, St Stephen, New Brunswick, E3L, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2007/10/15

Corner View; Town of St.Stephen
The Eaton Building
No Image
No Image

Other Name(s)

n/a

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1882/01/01

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2008/12/16

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Eaton Building is a vernacular interpretation of commercial Italianate architecture from the late 19th century. This two-storey brick building is located on Milltown Boulevard in St. Stephen.

Heritage Value

The Eaton Building is designated a Local historic Place for its architecture and for its association with its former occupants. This two-storey brick building was constructed for Charles H. Eaton of Milltown, New Brunswick, in 1882. The contractor was Joseph Rockwood of Calais, Maine. It is an example of Italianate-inspired commercial vernacular architecture. The Italianate influence is evident in such features as the segmented arch window openings and the corbelled roofline cornice.

The first floor of the building has been occupied by several businesses. The Castle Hall for the Knights of Pythias and Eaton Hall were located on the second floor. In 1927, the building was occupied by the Royal Bank of Canada, Speedy & Little, Grocers, and Frank Sherman, Druggist. Harry R. Haley closed his drug store at Hack's Corner and moved to the Eaton Building which he had purchased from Frank Sherman. In 1936, the Haley's purchased the grocery business of Roy Speedy. The Haley family operated a drug store in Milltown, New Brunswick, for 78 years and this was their first venture in the grocery and meat business. The business was closed in 1973. The new owners, Jack and Tina Reid, occupied the building until 1983.

Sources: St. Stephen Town Hall - Historic Places file “Eaton Building”

Character-Defining Elements

The character-defining elements that describe the Eaton building include:
- rectangular two-storey massing;
- red brick exterior walls;
- roofline cornice with corbelled brick brackets and dentils;
- segmented arch window and door openings;
- granite window sills;
- Knights of Pythias initials under the cornice;
- sandstone date stone;
- relatively flat roof with minor slope.

Recognition

Jurisdiction

New Brunswick

Recognition Authority

Local Governments (NB)

Recognition Statute

Local Historic Places Program

Recognition Type

Municipal Register of Local Historic Places

Recognition Date

2007/10/15

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

n/a

Theme - Category and Type

Developing Economies
Trade and Commerce
Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type

Current

Residence
Multiple Dwelling

Historic

Commerce / Commercial Services
Shop or Wholesale Establishment
Community
Social, Benevolent or Fraternal Club

Architect / Designer

n/a

Builder

Joseph Rockwood

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

St. Stephen Town Hall - Historic Places files.

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

1406

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places