Home / Accueil

Harrington Pioneer Cemetery

Brackley Point Road, Route 15, Harrington, Prince Edward Island, C1E, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2008/12/09

View of cemetery near the Brackley Point Road; PEI Genealogical Society, 2006
View of cemetery near the Brackley Point Road
Cemetery is shown on land owned by Alex Stewart; Meacham's Illustrated Historical Atlas of PEI, 1880
Cemetery is shown on land owned by Alex Stewart
No Image

Other Name(s)


Links and documents

Construction Date(s)


Listed on the Canadian Register: 2009/01/07

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

This cemetery is located adjacent to the Brackley Point Road in Harrington. It is bounded on three sides by agricultural land and has several remaining headstones. A fence which is in a state of disrepair encloses the cemetery. Several trees are located on the grounds facing the highway.

Heritage Value

The cemetery is valued for its historical link to the early Scottish pioneers of the community of Harrington.

The community name derives from the title of the English politician, soldier, and nobleman, William Stanhope, Viscount Petersham, the Second Earl of Harrington (1719-1779). When Captain Samuel Holland surveyed the Island in 1765, he chose to honour Harrington by naming "Harrington Bay" after him. Today this is known as Covehead Bay. However, the name did survive in this rural community.

Settlement of the area by Scottish immigrants began in 1798. James Stewart arrived from Perthshire in 1819. He would be the first to be interred in this cemetery when he passed away on October 20, 1841. It was located on part of his farm which remains in the Stewart family to this day. The location of the cemetery is clearly marked on the corner of Alex Stewart's field in Meacham's 1880 map of the area.

The cemetery is estimated to contain the remains of thirty-six people. There are thirteen remaining headstones. Some of these include other Scottish settlers such as Ronald Matheson (1808-1885) and James Walker (1788-1870). The last recorded burial was that of Robert Bruce Stewart in 1968.

In 1972, the site was restored with a new page wire fence erected around it. Today, it survives as a reminder of some of the earliest settlers to the community of Harrington.

Source: Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Communities, Cultural Affairs and Labour, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/P11

Character-Defining Elements

The heritage value of the cemetery is shown in the following character-defining elements:

- the location of the cemetery in close proximity to the Brackley Point Road and surrounded by agricultural land
- the variety and styles of the remaining headstones
- the page wire fencing enclosing the grounds



Prince Edward Island

Recognition Authority

Province of Prince Edward Island

Recognition Statute

Heritage Places Protection Act

Recognition Type

Registered Historic Place

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Philosophy and Spirituality

Function - Category and Type



Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Mortuary Site, Cemetery or Enclosure

Architect / Designer




Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Communities, Cultural Affairs and Labour, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8 File #: 4310-20/P11

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places