Description of Historic Place
The Baty House, located at 700 Pond Mills Road, is situated on the north side of Pond Mills Road, backing on to the North Pond, in the former Westminster Township, of the City of London. The Baty House is a one-and-a-half-storey white brick farmhouse, that was constructed in circa 1865.
The property was designated, by the City of London in 2004, for its historic or contextual value or interest, under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law L.S.P. – 3360-62).
The Baty House property backs onto the North Pond and is in close proximity to the original Water Mill, the Pond Mills Presbyterian Church and the Pond Mills Cemetery, heritage properties to which it is historically and contextually-linked.
The Baty House was built for Charles Stewart, in 1865, on land that was settled by brothers Adam and Robert Baty. Adam and Robert Baty and Charles Stewart were all early settlers of the Pond Mills area. Stewart's home was purchased by Robert Baty's grandson, Adam, in 1900 and members of the Baty family continued to occupy the home until the mid-1950s.
The Baty family was instrumental in the development of the Pond Mills area, both socially and economically, from the 1830s. In addition to the contributions that they made as farmers, carpenters, boat builders and mill owners, they were generous with their land and gifted a portion of it to the Presbyterian Church for the construction of a local church. Another portion was donated for the Pond Mills Cemetery.
The Baty House is a three-bay Ontario farmhouse with Gothic detailing. The small, white-brick residence features a gable with half-loop bargeboard and a finial, along with an elegant Gothic window. The brick chimneys on both sides of the house balance the composition and enhance its symmetry. Though the window sills have been replaced, most windows are original. The front porch and entryway, with sidelights and transom, though newer additions, are sympathetic to the original construction and maintain the integrity of the building.
Sources: City of London By-law L.S.P. – 3360-62; Reasons for Designation, 2004.
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of the Baty House include its:
- situation on land settled by the Baty family
- close proximity to the North Pond and Water Mill which was founded and operated by Baty family members
- close proximity to the church and cemetery for which the Baty family donated land and in which the family was heavily involved
- white brick construction
- symmetrical plan
- gable with half-loop bargeboard and finial
- gothic window in the front gable
- chimneys on the east and west elevation
- 2 over 2 windows on all elevations
- orientation to the North Pond, the Water Mill, the Pond Mills Presbyterian Church and the Pond Mills Cemetery