Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Staff House, also known as Building 14, faces a large, open yard in the Bear Creek Compound, a historic, non-operating, placer gold mining facility in the Klondike River valley. It consists of a one-storey log construction at the front of the building and a two-storey rear addition clad with wood siding. A small front verandah enhances the front elevation. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.
The Staff House is a Recognized Federal Heritage Building because of its historical associations, and its architectural and environmental values.
The Staff House is associated with the corporate phase of Yukon’s gold mining history. It also illustrates the expansion and renewal of the facility in the 1930s, the residential development at the village-like, mining service facility, and the adaptation of older structures for new and expanded use.
The Staff House possesses a good aesthetic design. The residential features such as the front verandah and front steps, in combination with the quality crafted log construction, enhance the building’s domestic appearance. The irregular, interior layout is evidence of the building’s adaptability to accommodate changing needs.
The Staff House maintains an unchanged relationship to its site and reinforces the character of its village-like, industrial setting at the Bear Creek Compound. The structure is familiar to those within the area.
Sources: Joan Mattie, Bear Creek Industrial Compound, Bear Creek, Yukon, Federal Heritage Buildings Review Office, Building Report 89-008; Staff House (Building 14), Bear Creek Compound, Yukon, Heritage Character Statement, 89-008.
The following character-defining elements of the Staff House should be respected:
- the simple and functional nature of its design, and its overall good workmanship and appropriate use of materials;
- the features of its form, construction, and materials that unify it with the site’s other buildings, including the two-storey wood-frame addition, with its metal-covered gable roof and horizontal wood siding;
- the distinctive log construction of its front section, and its contrasting colour scheme;
- its residential features, including the front verandah and steps, and the arrangement and detailing of its windows and doors;
- its comfortable relationship, due to its form, materials, detailing, and colour scheme with the other structures and landscape features of the site, in particular the Stenographer’s House (Building 13) and the V.I.P. Guest House (Building 11).
Government of Canada
Treasury Board Heritage Buildings Policy
Recognized Federal Heritage Building
1959/01/01 to 1959/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
Function - Category and Type
- Natural Resource Extraction Facility or Site
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Yukon Consolidated Gold Corporation (YCGC)
Location of Supporting Documentation
National Historic Sites Directorate, Documentation Centre, 5th Floor, Room 89, 25 Eddy Street, Gatineau, Quebec
Cross-Reference to Collection
The Root Cellar, also known as Building 56, faces a large, open yard in the Bear Creek Compound, a historic, non-operating, placer gold mining facility in the Klondike River…