Therese Mair House
Former MacLean House
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
This two-and-one-half storey wood framed building is a prominent structure on the corner of Kent and Richmond Streets in Georgetown. Constructed for use as a store and a residence, the property retains many of its original features. These include the two-over-two windows, the large commercial style four-over-four and three-over-three windows, and the numerous paired brackets of the eaves.
The building is valued for its historical association with the commercial history of Georgetown; for its Georgian and Bracketted architectural style; and for its contribution to the streetscape.
The land on which this building stands was once owned by the Merchants Bank of Prince Edward Island. In 1883, that property was purchased by local merchant, Angus McLean (b. 1846). A fire swept through parts of Georgetown in 1893, destroying many homes. This building was one of those constructed in the aftermath of the fire. It was nearing completion on November 11, 1893, when Angus' son, Russel MacLean (b. 1881), etched his name in one of the panes of the upstairs attic window!
As was once common for merchants, the building was designed to contain both a residence and a store. The style of the two-and-one-half storey structure has Georgian elements in its gable roof with eave returns. The rectangular windows of the upper storeys are two-over-two. The dwelling side of the building features a bay window and bracketted canopy over the door. This once also was covered by a verandah, but this was removed in the 1940s. The commercial side of the building is on the corner of Kent and Richmond Streets. It retains its large multi-paned storefront windows with bracketted cornice above.
In addition to being a store, Angus MacLean also operated a hotel from the premises, calling it the Russel House. In 1903, the property was inherited by Charlotte LeBrocq, Angus' sister-in-law. In 1927, she sold it to Bartlett Mair and it has remained in the Mair family ever since.
A store continued to operate from the building into the early 1970s. Those who operated the store over the years included Russel MacLean, John MacKinnon, Ashley Allen, and Harry Yorston. In recent years, the Mair family has had a small museum on the premises.
Source: Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Communities, Cultural Affairs and Labour, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/TR10
The heritage value of the building is shown in the following character-defining elements:
- the two-and-one-half storey wood frame construction
- the wood shingle cladding
- the gable roof with eave returns
- the paired eave brackets
- the brick chimney
- the multi-paned commercial style windows
- the bay window
- the two-over-two windows in the second storey
- the bracketted cornice above the commercial windows and entrance
- the transom window above the commercial entrance
- the mature trees and shrubbery around the property
Prince Edward Island
Province of Prince Edward Island
Heritage Places Protection Act
Registered Historic Place
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
- Commerce / Commercial Services
- Shop or Wholesale Establishment
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Communities, Cultural Affairs and Labour, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/TR10
Cross-Reference to Collection