Description of Historic Place
The Lockmaster’s House, also known as the Anglin Centre, is located next to the Rideau Canal at Kingston Mills Lockstation, part of the Rideau Canal National Historic Site of Canada. The two-storey, timber building is L-shaped with a gable roof. The main entrance is offset and a wrap around verandah extends along the east and south elevations. Regularly placed doors and windows pierce the clapboard exterior walls. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.
The Lockmaster’s House is a Recognized Federal Heritage Building because of its historical associations, and its architectural and environmental values.
The Lockmaster’s House, the first structure to be built at this lockstation, is associated with the post-Confederation use of the canal as a transportation route, first for commercial freight and later for excursion steamers. In particular, the house is associated with Robert Anglin who was lockmaster and postmaster from 1892 to 1917. The building is now known as the Anglin Centre, and is used for interpretive purposes.
The Lockmaster’s House is valued for its good aesthetics. It is a good example of turn-of-the-century vernacular, domestic design. By the late 19th century, design emphasis no longer reflected the military role of the Rideau Canal, but the commercial and recreational role of the canal system. Good functional design can be seen in the interior layout with its side-hall plan. Good craftsmanship is seen in the interior woodwork.
The Defensible Lockmaster’s House reinforces the historic character of its park-like, rural setting at Kingston Mills Lockstation and is a familiar landmark to local residents and to visitors.
Sources: Shannon Ricketts, Kingston Mills Lockstation (Four Buildings), Kingston Mills, Ontario, Federal Heritage Buildings Review Office, Report 89-011; Lockmaster’s House, Kingston Mills Lockstation, Rideau Canal, Ontario, Heritage Character Statement 89-011.
The character-defining elements of the Lockmaster’s House should be respected.
Its good aesthetics, functional design and good quality materials and craftsmanship, for example:
- the two-storey, L-shaped massing;
- the gable roof, clad in cedar shingles, and the chimney;
- the frame construction and the exterior horizontal clapboard siding;
- the regular placement of the two-over-two windows, and the doors;
- the gables, the decorative scalloped shingles on the front gable, and the offset front entry;
- the rock-faced ashlar foundation;
- the interior side-hall plan configuration, the interior lath and plaster walls, the woodwork, including the balustraded staircase and the waist-high wooden wainscotting.
The manner in which the Lockmaster’s House reinforces the historic character of its park-like, rural setting at Kingston Mills Lockstation and is a familiar local landmark, as evidenced by:
- its overall scale, design and materials, which harmonize with the surrounding green spaces at the lock station;
- its visibility due to its prominent location within a group of lockstation buildings adjacent to the canal, which makes it a local landmark.