2086, Perth Line, Township of Wellesley, Ontario, N0B, Canada
2086 Perth Line
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Forrest House is located at 2086 Perth Line, west of Wellesley on the north side of Perth Line, in the Township of Wellesley. This one-and-a-half-storey squared stone building was designed in the Gothic style and was constructed in 1894.
The property was designated, for its architectural and historic significance, by the Township of Wellesley, under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law 35-2000).
The Forrest House is associated with the Forrest Family, who immigrated to Ontario from Duns, Scotland in 1823. Alexander and Robina Forrest, who moved with their seven children from Scotland, settled land in North Easthope. Later, their son Robert acquired land in Wellesley Township and settled his own family there. A number of different family members have owned the home and property at various times, however, it still remains in the Forrest family to this day. The property also features an original log home, built in circa 1848 which was used until 1859, and a barn, erected in 1894. The various buildings on this site demonstrate the evolution of farming life for the Forrest family from the time of their settlement in Wellesley to the present day. The Forrest House is an excellent example of the Scottish Gothic style of architecture. The Forrests were stone masons by trade and built a number of marvellous stone homes. The gabled roof and six-over-six, double hung windows with stone lintels are typical of the Scottish Gothic style. The log home on the property was crafted from the finest local woods and required that special chisels and knives be made so that it would match traditional Scottish design.
Sources: Township of Wellesley By-law 35-2000; Reasons for Designation, 2000.
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of the Forrest House include its:
- various buildings from log house to stone house, indicating the evolution of farm settlement
- large squared quoining
- gabled roof with nine light peaked windows
- 6/6 double hung windows with stone lintels
- casement window sills and sashes
- detailed soffits and return eaves
- moulded plaster and egg white composition cornices
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
2000/01/01 to 2000/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Peopling the Land
Function - Category and Type
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Township of Wellesley Office
4639 Lobsinger Line, R.R. 1
St. Clements, Ontario
Cross-Reference to Collection