Home / Accueil

London and Western Trusts

353, Richmond Street, London, City of, Ontario, N6A, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2000/09/05

Of note are the four Doric columns and frieze.; Martina Braunstein, 2007.
Façade, London and Western Trusts, 2007
Featured is the inscription “London and Western Trusts” in the architrave.; Martina Braunstein, 2007.
Detailed View, London and Western Trusts, 2007
No Image

Other Name(s)

London and Western Trusts
Province of Ontario Savings Office
353 Richmond Street

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2009/03/12

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The London and Western Trusts is located at 353 Richmond Street, on the west side of Richmond Street between King and York Streets, in downtown London. The two-storey bank building was constructed in circa 1920.

The property was designated, by the City of London, in 2000, for its historical and architectural value, under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law L.S.P.-3315-157).

Heritage Value

353 Richmond Street was home to London's first trust company, the London and Western Trusts. The Trust was organized by George Gibbons and others in 1896. George Gibbons served Canada as the chairman of the Canadian section of the International Waterways Commission and was also a prominent member of the Liberal Party. He was later knighted, Sir George Gibbons, for his many contributions to Canada.

In the 1930s, after decades of local control, the board expanded to include new directors, such as, former Prime Minister Arthur Meighen. During this time the London and Western Trusts also operated offices in Vancouver, Victoria and Calgary. In the 1940s, London and Western Trusts was purchased by the Huron and Erie Company, a predecessor to what is now TD Canada Trust. After 1952, the building was purchased by the Province of Ontario and was used as a branch of the Ontario Savings and Loan Corporation.

The London and Western Trusts building is representative of the Neo-Classical Revival style of architecture. The building was constructed in circa 1920 using smooth ashlar stone with barely visible joints. Typical of the Neo-Classical style, the facade features a recessed portico, supported by four heavy Doric pilasters and a central entrance highlighted by rich mouldings. The frieze is unusual, as it has dentils that are characteristic of the Doric order, while the modillions belong to the Ionic and Corinthian orders. Inside the building, an ornately plastered ceiling, wood panelling and marble trim decorate the foyer.

Source: City of London By-law L.S.P.-3315-157.

Character-Defining Elements

Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of the London and Western Trusts include its:
- “London and Western Trusts” carved in the architrave.
- smooth ashlar stone construction with barely visible joints
- recessed portico with four Doric pilasters
- central entrance with rich mouldings which form its architrave and lintel
- frieze including the Doric dentils and Ionic and Corinthian modillions
- simple window embrasures
- ornately plastered ceiling
- wood panelling and marble trim in the foyer




Recognition Authority

Local Governments (ON)

Recognition Statute

Ontario Heritage Act

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

2000/01/01 to 2000/01/01

Theme - Category and Type

Developing Economies
Trade and Commerce

Function - Category and Type



Commerce / Commercial Services
Bank or Stock Exchange

Architect / Designer




Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

City of London Planning and Development 300 Dufferin Avenue London, ON N6A 4L9

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places