Home / Accueil

Kempt Shore Presbyterian Church

5659 Highway 215, Kempt Shore, Nova Scotia, B0N, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1995/09/19

Front and side elevations of the Kempt Shore Presbyterian Church, Kempt Shore, NS, 2008.; Municipality of the District of West Hants, 2008.
Front and Side Elevations
No Image
No Image

Other Name(s)

n/a

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1865/01/01 to 1865/12/31

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2009/03/16

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Kempt Shore Presbyterian Church is located on the west side of Highway 215, Kempt Shore, Nova Scotia, approximately at the confluence of the Avon River and the Minas Basin. The wood frame structure is located on the original site. The land, cemetery and building are included in the municipal designation.

Heritage Value

The Kempt Shore Presbyterian Church is valued as a landmark in the community and for the unobstructed view of the Minas Basin. Located at the site of a family, and later a community, cemetery, the land was donated to the Presbyterian Church of Scotland by George and Martha Armstrong in 1858. The church was built in 1865 by the congregation and Armstrong family, who operated a shipyard from 1835 until 1850.

After the formation of the United Church of Canada, the Kempt Shore Church continued to be used for regular services. In 1967, the church was closed for regular services; however it remains in use for weddings and funerals.

The wood frame church sits on a sandstone block foundation with a full basement.It has not had any exterior alterations with the exception of the installation of asphalt shingles. The interior of the church is largely unchanged with original pews and kerosene lamps and a central wood stove. No major alterations have been made with the exception for the installation of asphalt roof shingles.

Source: Windsor-West Hants Joint Planning Advisory Committee Heritage Property files

Character-Defining Elements

Character defining elements of the Kempt Shore Presbyterian Church include:

- simple wood frame construction;
- steep shingled steeple;
- Gothic Revival windows;
- wood shingle exterior;
- cemetery surrounding the church;
- location overlooking the Minas Basin.

Recognition

Jurisdiction

Nova Scotia

Recognition Authority

Local Governments (NS)

Recognition Statute

Heritage Property Act

Recognition Type

Municipally Registered Property

Recognition Date

1995/09/19

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

n/a

Theme - Category and Type

Building Social and Community Life
Community Organizations
Building Social and Community Life
Religious Institutions

Function - Category and Type

Current

Historic

Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Mortuary Site, Cemetery or Enclosure
Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Religious Facility or Place of Worship

Architect / Designer

n/a

Builder

n/a

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Windsor-West Hants Joint Planning Advisory Committee 76 Morison Drive Windsor, NS B0N 2T0 902-798-6900

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

25MNS0002

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places