Links and documents
1842/01/01 to 1908/01/01
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
This cemetery is located on the bank of the Clyde River about 600 metres from the Clyde River Road. It is not visible from the highway and is surrounded by agricultural land. There are approximately 19 remaining gravestones and possible unmarked graves. The site also has several mature trees and is enclosed by a fence. A sign indicating the cemetery was installed in 1995.
The cemetery is valued for its historical association with the early Scottish pioneers to the Clyde River area and for its association with the history of the Baptist faith in PEI.
The location of this cemetery near the shore of the Clyde River is explained by the fact that before the advent of reliable roads, pioneers used the Island's waterways for transportation.
Meacham's 1880 Atlas of PEI does not indicate the location of this cemetery, but does show a Baptist Church to the west of it. This church was established in 1861 and closed in 1896. It was later moved and served as a community hall for a number of years. The cemetery was used by those who attended this church and also by other pioneers in the area.
The families interred here include: MacLean, Murray, Livingston, Wares, Harvey, and Henderson. The first burial was that of Margaret Murray in 1842 and the last was that of Anne Murray in 1908.
The Clyde River area was known as Dog River before the name was changed in 1864. Many of the settlers had Scottish origins and many remaining stones in the cemetery reflect this by showing Scottish motifs - such as the thistle.
The community has worked to preserve the integrity of this site by keeping it clean and free of debris. Major efforts to restore it have happened in 1960, 1974, and most recently in 1995.
Source: Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Communites, Cultural Affairs and Labour, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/P22
The heritage value of the cemetery is shown in the following character-defining elements:
- the location of the cemetery near the Clyde River with mature trees
- the size, shape, and variety of the remaining headstones with their decorative motifs and inscriptions
- the potential for unmarked graves on the site
Prince Edward Island
Province of Prince Edward Island
Heritage Places Protection Act
Registered Historic Place
Theme - Category and Type
- Peopling the Land
Function - Category and Type
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Mortuary Site, Cemetery or Enclosure
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Communites, Cultural Affairs and Labour, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/P22
Cross-Reference to Collection