Home / Accueil

Snyder-Seagram House

50, Albert Street, City of Waterloo, Ontario, N2L, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1983/01/10

West façade of 50 Albert Street, 2007.; Kayla Jonas, 2007.
Façade of 50 Albert Street
View of the collection of bay windows on the west façade of 50 Albert Street, 2007.; Kayla Jonas, 2007.
North and West Elevations of 50 Albert Street
View of the curved verandah wrapping around the south and west elevations of 50 Albert Street, 2007.; Kayla Jonas, 2007.
South and West Elevations of 50 Albert Street

Other Name(s)

Snyder-Seagram House
50 Albert Street

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)


Listed on the Canadian Register: 2009/03/20

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Snyder-Seagram House is located at 50 Albert Street, on the east side of the street, between Dorset and Albert Streets, in the City of Waterloo. This two-storey poured-concrete building was designed in the Edwardian style. It was constructed by Charles Moogk, in 1903.

The property was designated, for its historic and architectural significance, by the City of Waterloo, under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law 83-10).

Heritage Value

The Snyder-Seagram House is associated with the Snyder and Seagram families. The house was built for Herbert Snyder, owner of Snyder Bros. Furniture, by Charles Moogk who was the town engineer at the time. The Snyder Bros. Furniture Company continues to operate within the region today.

Edward F. Seagram, son of distilling magnate Joseph E. Seagram, purchased the house in 1929 and presented it as a wedding gift to his son J. E. Frowde Seagram. Edward F. Seagram served the Town of Waterloo as its Mayor between 1906 and 1907. The Seagram family is one of Waterloo's most prominent and recognized industrial figureheads. They operated the Seagram Distillery, which encompassed the entire city block, at the intersection of Erb and Caroline Streets, in the City of Waterloo. Seagram Distillery Limited became the world's largest producer of distilled spirits, in 1928, and continued operation until it closed in 1992. Upon the death of his father, J. E. Frowde Seagram, who was already President of Canada Barrels and Kegs Limited, became the President of Seagram Distillery Limited.

The Snyder-Seagram House is an impressive example of the Edwardian style of architecture and is interesting primarily due to its poured concrete construction. The Albert Street façade features Palladian windows. A collection of bay windows and the attractive curved verandah add to the home's architectural value. Many of the windows still contain the original leaded glass and the bevelled edges of these windows refract the sun's rays into a spectrum of colours.

Sources: City of Waterloo By-law 83-10.

Character-Defining Elements

Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of the Snyder-Seagram House include its:
- poured concrete construction
- Palladian windows
- windows with original leaded glass and bevelled edges
- collection of bay windows
- curved verandah




Recognition Authority

Local Governments (ON)

Recognition Statute

Ontario Heritage Act

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

1983/01/01 to 1983/01/01

Theme - Category and Type

Developing Economies
Extraction and Production

Function - Category and Type


Health and Research


Single Dwelling

Architect / Designer



Charles Moogk

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

City of Waterloo 100 Regina Street South Waterloo, ON N2J 4A8

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places