646 King Street, Windsor, Nova Scotia, B0N, Canada
Links and documents
1844/01/01 to 1844/12/31
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Thornton is located on the east side of King Street at the intersection of St. John and King Streets in the town of Windsor, NS. Built on a hill, the brick house and well maintained grounds dominate the streetscape. The land and building are included in the municipal designation.
Thornton is valued as the oldest brick home in Windsor and for its association with merchants Thomas Timlin and Edward Dimock, who greatly contributed to the economic history of the town.
Built in 1844, the exterior of the two-storey Georgian-Federal style home has not been substantially altered with the exception of the side addition in the 1960s. The symmetrical façade features a large centred entrance as well as a door with a Palladian window onto the roof of the entryway. The truncated hipped roof creates a sense of grandeur for the home which, for many years, was considered to be one of the most luxurious homes in Windsor. Some original interior features have been preserved including a beehive oven in the basement and a small room that served as an ice house.
Thornton was built for Thomas Timlin (1795-1845), a successful merchant and trader. His daughter, Elizabeth, married Edward Dimock who bought Thornton in 1885. Dimock operated Timlin's store, later called Dimock's Hardware, in Windsor and established the Windsor Foundry. Dimock had many business interests including the Commercial Bank of Windsor, the Windsor Fire Insurance Company, and the Windsor Gas Company. From 1879 to 1881, Dimock served as mayor of Windsor. Dimock also owned the main gypsum operation, the Wentworth Gypsum Company, and the Gypsum Packet Company which transported the gypsum to market. Thornton remained in the Dimock family until 1937.
Source: Windsor-West Hants Joint Planning Advisory Committee Heritage Property files, Thornton file.
Character-defining elements of Thornton related to its Georgian-Federal style and include:
- two-storey brick construction;
- hip roof;
- large central doorway;
- Palladian window over front entrance;
- location on small hill overlooking King Street;
- circular gable window;
- all historic interior elements including a brick beehive oven.
Local Governments (NS)
Heritage Property Act
Municipally Registered Property
Theme - Category and Type
- Developing Economies
- Trade and Commerce
- Peopling the Land
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Windsor-West Hants Joint Planning Advisory Committee 76 Morison Drive Windsor, NS B0N 2T0 902-798-6900
Cross-Reference to Collection