Timothy Mair House
Former Malcolm MacDonald House
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Located on the corner of Kent and Water streets, this Queen Anne Revival influenced house features a symmetrical facade with a central entrance framed by stacked bay windows. The rich gingerbread details of the house are shown in the bracketted verandah, cornices, and finials on the peaks of the roof dormer, on the north gable, and above the stacked bays.
This home is valued for its well preserved Queen Anne Revival architectural elements; for its historical association with Captain Malcolm MacDonald; and for its contribution to the streetscape.
It is difficult to believe, but this elaborate home began its life around 1835 as a plain warehouse. It was then thought to have been located closer to the harbour. It was constructed by Colin MacDonald a noted carpenter and the uncle of Andrew Archibald MacDonald and Augustine Colin MacDonald, both of whom would go on to be Lieutenant Governor of the Island.
The building was moved around 1850 from the waterfront to its current location although it was then closer to the road. Records indicate the building was sold in 1867 by Louis John Westaway to Angus MacPhail. In 1873, it came into the possession of Captain Malcolm MacDonald. He would move it further back on the lot to its current location. The Weekly Examiner reported on June 7, 1889: "Captain MacDonald has removed his dwelling house in Georgetown back some 30 feet from the street and intends having it remodelled and greatly improved."
Captain MacDonald was a successful merchant who was in business with Westaway. He embellished the house with many fine Queen Anne Revival elements. These included the balanced facade with stacked bay windows, decorative verandahs on the west and north elevations, scalloped shingles, and finials on the roof.
In 1880, the house also contained a drugstore. It continued to have a medical role in 1919 when it was home to Dr. MacPhee and again in 1932, when it was home to Dr. Kennedy.
In 1966, the property was sold to Stillman Mair and it remains in the Mair family today.
Source: Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Communities, Cultural Affairs and Labour, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/TR32
The heritage value of the house is shown in the following character-defining elements:
- the two-and-one half storey massing
- the wood frame construction
- the gable roof with eave returns
- the brick chimney
- the wood shingles which include scallop style shingles
- the balanced facade with central entrance
- the pair of stacked bay windows of the west elevation
- the stacked square bay on the north elevation with gable roof
- the decorative verandahs with turned posts and brackets
- the original fenestration including the central roof dormer
- the finials on top of the bays, dormer, and gable roof
- the decorative animal motifs in wooden blocks on the west elevation
Prince Edward Island
Province of Prince Edward Island
Heritage Places Protection Act
Registered Historic Place
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Communities, Cultural Affairs and Labour, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/TR32
Cross-Reference to Collection