Home / Accueil

St. Andrew's Church

1450 Westside Baddeck Road, Baddeck, Nova Scotia, B0E, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1992/06/01

Detail of main entrance, St. Andrew's Church, Baddeck Forks, NS, 2009.; Dept. of Tourism, Culture and Heritage, Province of Nova Scotia, 2009
Front elevation of St. Andrew's Church, Baddeck Forks, NS, 2009.; Dept. of Tourism, Culture and Heritage, Province of Nova Scotia, 2009
Front Elevation
Front and side elevations, St. Andrew's Church, Baddeck Forks, NS, 2009.; Dept. of Tourism, Culture and Heritage, Province of Nova Scotia, 2009
Front and Side Elevations

Other Name(s)

St. Andrew's United Church
St. Andrew's Church

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1865/01/01 to 1872/12/31

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2009/05/06

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

St. Andrew’s Church is a one-storey, simple wood frame building. It is located in the community of Baddeck Forks, NS, in a tranquil, rural setting. The Municipality of the County of Victoria designated the church and land a municipal heritage property in 1992.

Heritage Value

St. Andrew’s Church is valued for its simple, unadorned architecture, association with its builder, and its role in the community.

Construction of the church began in 1865 to replace the original circa 1837 church that was located directly across the road. Materials from the original church were incorporated into the new St. Andrew’s. Noted local church builder, Donald MacInnis from the nearby village of Whycocomagh was contracted by the congregation to build the church. The original agreement between the congregation and MacInnis called for the erection of a steeple. Due to a misunderstanding between both parties, the steeple was not included in the construction and the church remains today without one.

The church is located close to the main road on a small parcel of land that was purchased by the trustees. Its Greek Revival style, highlighted by corner pilasters, return eaves, rectangular massing and windows, remains intact. The church has not been greatly altered since its construction with the exception of the replacement of the original fieldstone foundation with concrete, closing off of the gallery, and painting of the pews and trim.

Source: Municipality of the County of Victoria, Municipal Heritage and Archives Department, St. Andrew's Church file.

Character-Defining Elements

Character-defining elements of St. Andrew’s Church include:

- all Greek Revival elements including pilasters, eave returns, and main entrance with cornice;
- symmetrical front elevation;
- ten-over-six wooden windows;
- windows in attic;
- wooden front door;
- transom;
- gable roof;
- wood shingle siding;
- St. Andrew’s Church sign on building;
- location close to road in a rural setting;
- absence of tower and steeple;
- interior elements including wooden pews, trim, altar, gallery supported by wooden columns, and unpainted altar, choir and doors leading to sacristy and vestry.



Nova Scotia

Recognition Authority

Local Governments (NS)

Recognition Statute

Heritage Property Act

Recognition Type

Municipally Registered Property

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Building Social and Community Life
Religious Institutions

Function - Category and Type



Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Religious Facility or Place of Worship

Architect / Designer



MacInnis, Donald

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Municipality of the County of Victoria, Heritge Department, P.O. Box 370, Baddeck, N.S., B0E-1B0

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places