Home / Accueil

Old Bank of Toronto Building

7 Otto Drive, Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, X1A, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1999/11/22

Street front side of Old Bank of Toronto building.; E.Hawkins/GNWT
Old Bank of Toronto Building, 2002
No Image
No Image

Other Name(s)

n/a

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1938/01/01

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2004/04/13

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Bank of Toronto Building is a City of Yellowknife Heritage Site. It is a single story log building with a partially hipped roof. The building is currently located at 7 Otto Drive, on Latham Island. The heritage designation applies only to the building.

Heritage Value

The Bank of Toronto Building is one of Yellowknife's oldest surviving buildings. Typical of a number of Yellowknife's early buildings, this log structure reflects typical boom and bust cycles of construction in a northern mining town, and was originally located on the Rock, in the heart of historic Yellowknife.

This building is associated with the beginning of banking in Yellowknife. Originally a private residence, the Bank of Toronto bought the building in 1944, just 6 years after it was built. Allan Lambert, former president and chairman of the Toronto Dominion Bank, cut his teeth as branch manager here. In 1961, the bank outgrew this small building, and relocated its commercial operations. The Bank of Toronto, however, retained the site as an employee residence until 1964.

In 1964, Sam Otto, early Yellowknife pioneer, trapper, and prospector, bought and moved the building to its current location on Otto Drive (named after Mr.Otto himself). Since then, the building has been used as a private residence.

The building has gained considerable prominence as an Old Town landmark. Its attractive exterior and proximity to the street have made it a favourite of walking tours. The building has also been featured in a number of publications and articles on the history of Yellowknife.

Source: City of Yellowknife By-law 4079.

Character-Defining Elements

Character-defining elements of the site include:
-The overall massing, including, but not limited to, its one-story layout, partially hipped roof, and distribution of windows.
-Log materials and craftsmanship.
-Prominent, visible location in a residential neighbourhood in Old Town Yellowknife

Recognition

Jurisdiction

Northwest Territories

Recognition Authority

City of Yellowknife

Recognition Statute

City of Yellowknife Heritage By-Law

Recognition Type

City of Yellowknife Municipal Historic Site

Recognition Date

1999/11/22

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

1938/01/01 to 1944/01/01
1944/01/01 to 1961/01/01
1961/01/01 to 1964/01/01
1964/01/01 to 1964/01/01

Theme - Category and Type

Developing Economies
Trade and Commerce

Function - Category and Type

Current

Historic

Commerce / Commercial Services
Bank or Stock Exchange
Residence
Single Dwelling

Architect / Designer

n/a

Builder

John Stakston

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Yellowknife City Hall, Yellowknife, By-law 4079.

Cross-Reference to Collection

NA

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

NT0008

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places