Old Log School House
5402-50th Avenue, Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Old Log School House is a City of Yellowknife Heritage Site. It is a square, single story saddle-notched log building with a hipped roof in downtown Yellowknife.
The Old Log School House was the first school in Yellowknife. It was built in 1937 by prominent Yellowknife pioneers Ray G. 'Red' McPhie, and 'Sleepy Jim' McDonald. Its simple log construction is an excellent example of buildings from this time. The building was originally used as a mining kitchen and bunkhouse. In 1939, it was opened as a one-room schoolhouse, and Ms. Mildred Hall became the first teacher in Yellowknife. Space was so limited the 32 students attended lessons in shifts! After one year of operation, classes had to relocate to a larger building.
The Old Log School House is an icon of Yellowknife education. In 1987, Yellowknife Education District No.1 moved the building to a prominent location on main street, next to Mildred Hall School and the education district office. The schoolhouse continues to be associated with Mildred Hall, and the foundations of Yellowknife education.
Source: City of Yellowknife By-Law 4035.
-Its simple square structure with pyramid roof, and interior one-room layout
-Elements of original building materials and methods, such as the saddle-notched logs chinked with saplings, and hipped roof
-Its symbolic location close to Mildred Hall School and Yellowknife Education District No.1
City of Yellowknife
City of Yellowknife Heritage By-Law
City of Yellowknife Municipal Historic Site
1937/01/01 to 1939/01/01
1939/01/01 to 1940/01/01
1987/01/01 to 1987/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Education and Social Well-Being
Function - Category and Type
- Natural Resource Extraction Facility or Site
Architect / Designer
Ray G. 'Red' McPhie
Location of Supporting Documentation
Yellowknife City Hall, Yellowknife, By-law 4035.
Cross-Reference to Collection