Home / Accueil

Primrose Lane

456 Main Street, Alberton, Prince Edward Island, C0B, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2009/05/11

Showing west elevation; Alberton Historical Preservation Foundation, 2007
Showing west elevation
Showing south elevation; Alberton Historical Preservation Foundation, 2007
Showing south elevation
Archive image, 1972; Alberton Museum Collection
Archive image, 1972

Other Name(s)

Primrose Lane
Former Profit Harness Shop

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)


Listed on the Canadian Register: 2009/06/15

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

Known locally as "The Profit Building", this two storey rectangular commercial style building is located on the northeast corner of Main and Poplar streets in the centre of the Alberton business district. The wood shingled facade features large storefront windows. The roof is flat with a low pitch to the east. The south elevation features a mural depicting the interior of the former Profit Harness Shop.

Heritage Value

The building is valued for its commercial architectural style and for its association with the Profit family of Alberton.

John T. Profit (1846-1931) and his son, Charles, were harness makers who developed the renowned "Profit Collar" for horses. It had an innovative design and was comfortable for the animal to wear. John T. Profit also served as the local undertaker for more than thirty years. When automobiles began to replace horses as a means of transportation, he had the first gasoline tanks in Alberton. He also sold car accessories, carriages, gramophones and radio records. He was a member of the Board of Trade founded in 1903. He was a prominent member of the Masonic Order. Active in local politics, he served as a town councillor from 1915-1920 and was Mayor of Alberton from 1920 to 1921.

In 1919, his business suffered a devastating fire which destroyed the original two-storey gable roofed building. He soon rebuilt with the help of local builder, George Gard. In 1945, part of the building was converted into a liquor store. By 1961, Bill Profit, the grandson of John T., renovated the building and added two apartments to the second floor. His brother, Jim Profit, operated an electronics business named "J-PRO" until the 1980s.

In 1985, the West Prince Industrial Commission purchased the building. Since then it has been the home to a variety of businesses, including a clothing store, taxation centre, furniture store, and a florist and gift shop.

Source: Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Communities, Cultural Affairs and Labour, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/A33

Character-Defining Elements

The heritage value of the house is shown in the following character-defining elements:

- the wood frame construction
- the two-storey massing
- the wood shingle cladding
- the flat roof with low pitch
- the large commercial storefront windows of the west facade
- the decorative moulding across the middle of the west facade
- the brackets on the corners of the west facade
- the mural on the south elevation



Prince Edward Island

Recognition Authority

Province of Prince Edward Island

Recognition Statute

Heritage Places Protection Act

Recognition Type

Registered Historic Place

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Developing Economies
Trade and Commerce

Function - Category and Type


Commerce / Commercial Services
Shop or Wholesale Establishment


Machinery or Other Equipment Manufacturing Facility

Architect / Designer




Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Communities, Cultural Affairs and Labour, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8 File #: 4310-20/A33

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places