Home / Accueil

Halupa's Jewelry

480 Main Street, Alberton, Prince Edward Island, C0B, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2009/05/11

Showing west elevation; Alberton Historical Preservation Foundation, 2008
Showing west elevation
Showing side elevation; Alberton Historical Preservation Foundation, 2008
Showing side elevation
Showing Alberton Post Office, c 1936; Alberton Museum Collection
Showing Alberton Post Office, c 1936

Other Name(s)

Former Bank of Nova Scotia / Post Office
Halupa's Jewelry

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)


Listed on the Canadian Register: 2009/06/16

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

This single storey brick building has a low pitched gable roof. It is located on the east side of Main Street in Alberton, in the heart of the business district. Built in 1913, it was originally the location of a branch of the Bank of Nova Scotia.

Heritage Value

The building is valued as the oldest remaining brick building in Alberton and for its role in the commercial history of the town.

The Bank of Nova Scotia constructed this building for their Alberton branch in 1912-1913. Frank Wedge was the bricklayer. Ralph Fielding served as the first bank manager. The bank operated under five other managers until it closed in 1935.

The building then served as the Alberton Post Office from 1936 to 1962 with Waldo Matthews as the first postmaster, serving for more than twenty years. A new federal building was constructed in 1962 and the post office was relocated there.

In 1962, the property was purchased by Andras Halupa, a Hungarian refugee. He opened a jewelry store in the front of the building and used the back as his residence.

Some aspects of the original design have changed over the years. It originally had classically inspired columns supporting the entablature on the front facade and two rectangular windows. The columns have since been removed and the windows replaced by one large picture window. The side entrance with transom has remained intact. The roof was originally flat, but a slightly pitched gable roof has been added to this. A flag pole was once attached to the roof above the parapet just above the diamond shaped decoration on the facade. A heavy cornice remains along the edge of the roofline.

Source: Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Communities, Cultural Affairs and Labour, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/A34

Character-Defining Elements

The heritage value of the building is shown in the following character-defining elements:

- the single storey massing
- the brick construction
- the low pitched gable roof
- the brick chimney
- the entablature above the front window and entrance
- the cornice near the eave line and across the facade
- the side entrance on the west facade with transom
- the variety and style of the windows
- the diamond decoration above the entablature on the facade



Prince Edward Island

Recognition Authority

Province of Prince Edward Island

Recognition Statute

Heritage Places Protection Act

Recognition Type

Registered Historic Place

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Developing Economies
Trade and Commerce

Function - Category and Type


Commerce / Commercial Services
Shop or Wholesale Establishment


Commerce / Commercial Services
Bank or Stock Exchange

Architect / Designer




Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Communities, Cultural Affairs and Labour, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8 File #: 4310-20/A34

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places