41 Riverside Drive, St Stephen, New Brunswick, E3L, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Sinclair House is a one-and-a-half storey pre-Loyalist residence. It is located on Riverside Drive in St. Stephen.
Sinclair House is designated a Local Historic Place for its architecture and for its association with its former owners.
Sinclair House is recognized for being a fine example of pre-Loyalist architecture. It is a one-and-a-half storey dwelling built prior 1809 and is one of the oldest homes in the area.
Sinclair House is also recognized for its association with its former occupants. Circa 1809, the home was occupied by Joel Whitney and his wife Anna Moore, daughter of William Moore, founder of Moores Mills, New Brunswick. The last survivor of the Whitney family, Eliza Ann, left the property to her nephew, Dr. Seth T. Whitney, a dentist in Calais, Maine. The home was sold in 1904 to William Sinclair and was occupied by a member of the Sinclair family until 2009. William Sinclair, former Mayor of the Town of Milltown, was the Superintendent of the Water Department for Calais, Maine.
Source: St. Stephen Town Hall - Historic Places file, “Sinclair House”
The character-defining elements that describe Sinclair House include:
- one-and-a-half storey rectangular massing of the main portion of the building;
- central chimney;
- flush boarding;
- gable roof;
- returned eaves;
- central entrance with pilasters and sidelights;
- heavy corner boards;
- central dormer.
Local Governments (NB)
Local Historic Places Program
Municipal Register of Local Historic Places
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
John MacDougald (possibly)
Location of Supporting Documentation
St. Stephen Town Hall - Historic Places File "Sinclair House"
Cross-Reference to Collection