600, Erb Street, City of Waterloo, Ontario, N2T, Canada
K-W Bilingual School
600 Erb Street West
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Rummelhardt School is located at 600 Erb Street West, on the northeast corner of Erb Street West and Erbsville Court, in the City of Waterloo. This one-storey fieldstone building, constructed in 1867, is reminiscent of the Georgian style.
The property was designated, for its historic and architectural value, by the City of Waterloo, under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-Law 00-107).
The Rummelhardt School has been used as a site for education since 1843. The Rummelhardt School, Section 9, was organised on October 25, 1843 when the deed for the land was purchased by George Clemens, Hugh R. Folson, Joseph Erb, Jacob Lutz, Elias Bowman, Henry Snider and Elias Snider. These men were known as the Common School Commissioners for the Township of Waterloo. Built in 1867, it replaced the original 1844 log structure. The school was closed by Waterloo Township, in 1964, but was purchased by the K-W Bilingual School in 1966.
The Rummelhardt School is the only remaining stone school house in the City of Waterloo that is located on its original site. This one-storey school was designed as a single room school, with an attached teacher's room on the Erb Street side. The building was constructed of split granite fieldstone, laid in a somewhat regular course with mortar. The walls are two-feet thick. This building features 1/1 paned windows and a gable roof.
Sources: City of Waterloo By-Law 00-107; City of Waterloo LACAC Designation of Property, 1999.
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of the Rummelhardt School include its:
- location on its original site in the City of Waterloo
- stone construction
- continued use as a site for education since 1843
- split granite fieldstone
- two-foot thick walls
- gable roof
- attached teacher's room
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
1999/01/01 to 1999/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Education and Social Well-Being
Function - Category and Type
- Special or Training School
- One-Room School
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of Waterloo
100 Regina Street South
Cross-Reference to Collection