Battle of Cook's Mills National Historic Site of Canada
Lyons Creek Road, Welland, Ontario, L3B, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Battle of Cook's Mills National Historic Site of Canada is a rolling semi-rural landscape east of the Welland Canal bordering the north bank of Lyon’s Creek in the City of Welland, Ontario. It was the site of an important engagement between British and Canadian troops and American forces during the War of 1812. There are no known extant remains of the battle; however, a cairn and plaque erected by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada in 1977 marks the south-west corner of the battle site. Official recognition refers to the designated polygon north of Lyon's Creek.
The Battle of Cook’s Mills was designated a national historic site of Canada in 1921 because:
- British and Canadian troops forced the Americans to withdraw following a heavy skirmish at Cook’s Mills, 19 October 1814.
The Battle of Cook’s Mills was an important engagement for British and Canadian troops during the War of 1812. After his unsuccessful siege of Fort Erie, Lieutenant-General Gordon Drummond retreated west and concentrated his army around the Chippawa River. In October 1814, American forces under Major-General George Izard advanced west to assault Fort Niagara. Finding Drummond firmly entrenched along the Chippawa River, Izard sent a force of about 900 men to test the British right flank on Lyon’s Creek. On October 19, at Cook's Mills, a heavy skirmish took place, involving men of the Glengarry Light Infantry and the 82nd, 100th and 104th Regiments. Led by Lieutenant-Colonel Christopher Myers the British and Canadian troops forced the Americans to withdraw and retreat to Fort Erie.
Source: Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada, Minutes, October 1966.
The key elements that contribute to the heritage character of this site include:
- its location on the north bank of Lyon’s Creek in the City of Welland, Ontario;
- the rolling semi-rural character of the landscape where the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada plaque and cairn marking the battlefield are located;
- the north side of Lyon’s Creek, a tributary of the Chippawa River, used by Drummond as a defensive position during the battle that now forms part of the designated place;
- the integrity of any surviving or as yet unidentified archaeological remains which may be found within the site in their original placement and extent;
- viewscapes from the battlefield to the creek.
Government of Canada
Historic Sites and Monuments Act
National Historic Site of Canada
1814/10/18 to 1814/10/19
Theme - Category and Type
Function - Category and Type
- Battle Site
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
National Historic Sites Directorate, Documentation Centre, 5th Floor, Room 89, 25 Eddy Street, Gatineau, Quebec
Cross-Reference to Collection