13 Union Street, St Stephen, New Brunswick, E3L, Canada
Links and documents
1833/01/01 to 1835/01/01
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Moore House is a rectangular two-storey residence that exhibits the traditional features of Neo-Classical architecture from the early 19th century. It is located on Union Street in St. Stephen.
The Moore House is designated a Local Historic Place for its architecture and for its association with its former occupants.
The Moore House is an excellent example of Neo-Classical residential architecture from the early 19th century in St. Stephen. Other than its overall rectangular, five-bay plan, it exhibits such traditional elements of this style as a central portico with a pediment supported by Ionic columns, end chimneys and a low-pitched gable roof.
The residence was built during 1833-1835 for John Warren Moore and his wife, Mary Louisa DeWolfe. John Warren Moore, an outstanding cabinetmaker in the area, was the grandson of William Moore, the Loyalist founder of Moores Mills, New Brunswick. In 1855, the house was sold to David and Joanna Upton and later was the property of their daughter, Christianna, who married John Bolton. Mrs. Ethel Todd, daughter of Christianna and John Bolton, married Lieutenant Governor W. F. Todd. From 1909 to 1973, the residence served as the Rectory for Trinity Anglican Church, but would outlast the church building which was demolished circa 1985.
Source: St Stephen Town Hall – Historic Places File, “Moore House”
The character defining-elements that describe Moore House include:
- rectangular two-storey massing;
- low-pitched lateral gable roof with moulded eaves;
- small triangular windows adorning the end gable pediments;
- end chimneys;
- central entrance with sidelights flanking the door and a pedimented portico supported by Ionic columns with volute capitals;
- regular placement of rectangular windows;
- lateral open gallery with heavy entablature roof supported by Ionic columns;
- stone foundation;
- clapboard siding with thin corner boards.
Local Governments (NB)
Local Historic Places Program
Municipal Register of Local Historic Places
Theme - Category and Type
- Developing Economies
- Trade and Commerce
- Building Social and Community Life
- Religious Institutions
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
John Warren Moore
Location of Supporting Documentation
St. Stephen Town Hall - Historic Places file, "Moore House"
Cross-Reference to Collection