Church of the Nativity
321 Sandy Cove Road, Sandy Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
Church of the Nativity
Sandy Cove Church of the Nativity
Links and documents
1840/01/01 to 1850/01/01
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Church of the Nativity at Sandy Cove is a wooden church situated on one of Sandy Cove’s bluffs overlooking the hamlet on Digby Neck. The church has a square steeple with a bell cast spire and is one of three churches in close proximity. Heritage designation for this church includes the building and the surrounding property, as well as the cemetery.
Church of the Nativity at Sandy Cove is valued for its association with Reverend William Bullock and is one of several churches erected in the county during his Rectorship (1840-1848). Rev. William Bullock was ordained deacon and priest in 1822 and after a brief period in St. John's, NL, Bullock arrived in Digby in 1841, where over the next six years he established numerous preaching stations and churches. In 1847 Bullock went to Halifax and was appointed by Bishop John Inglis Curate of St. Paul's Cathedral and later rector of St. Luke's Chapel, and when the church was made the cathedral church of the diocese , he was named as its first dean. Bullock also published a collection of hymns in 1854; the best-known of these "We Love the Place O God" was added to the official hymn book of the Church of England. The church still houses the original lectern Bible presented to the congregation by Bishop John Inglis, August 7, 1844.
Source: Built Heritage Inventory, Office of the Municipality of the District of Digby.
Character-defining elements associated with the building form and massing of the church includes:
- surrounding property on the bluff including the cemetery;
- large windows along the side of the church building in a 16 over 16 pane arrangement;
- windows in the façade in a 6 over 6 pane arrangement;
- wood paneled door;
- large bell-shaped roof;
- multi-paned Palladian window with pointed arches in the chancel (rear of church).
Local Governments (NS)
Heritage Property Act
Municipally Registered Property
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Religious Institutions
Function - Category and Type
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Built Heritage Inventory, Office of the Municipality of the District of Digby, P.O. Box 429, Digby, NS B0V 1A0.
Cross-Reference to Collection