The Pumping Station
17, William Street, City of Waterloo, Ontario, N2J, Canada
The Pumping Station
17 and 23 William Street East
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Pumping Station is located at 17 and 23 William Street East on the southeast side of the street, between King and Herbert Streets, in Uptown Waterloo. This one-storey yellow-brick building was designed in the Victorian Industrial style and was constructed by the Waterloo Water Commission in 1899.
The building has been designated, for its historic and architectural value, by the City of Waterloo, under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act, By-law 90-17.
The Pumping Station was built in 1899 after the Town of Waterloo took ownership of public utilities, by the establishment of its own waterworks plant. On May 21, 1889 Council approved By-law 99 which authorized “The Waterloo Water Works Company” to provide water to the Town of Waterloo. Berlin supplied water to Waterloo from 1889 to 1899, at which point the agreement expired. It was at this point that the town established its own Water Commission consisting of David Bean as Chairman, Aloyes Bauer, John Ritzer and Mayor Diebel. A debenture of $40,000 was approved for a complete water-works system to be located at the William Street East site. The Pumping Station began operation in 1899, with three artesian wells with a daily flow of 750,000 gallons, providing the city with water and fire protection.
The Pumping Station, designed in the Victorian Industrial style, is constructed of yellow-brick, laid in a common bond pattern with headers every seventh course. A projecting ornamental brick pattern exists along the roof line of the building. Decorative brickwork and a concrete keystone exist over each of the many windows. The architectural detail found on the structure is consistent with the design of utility buildings of the time.
Sources: Designation Recommendation, Scott Amos, City of Waterloo, Dec. 1988; “Designated Landmarks - City of Waterloo”, LACAC, 1995.
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of the Pumping Station include its:
- overall massing of the Victorian Industrial design style
- yellow-brick, laid in a common bond pattern with headers every seventh course
- decorative brickwork and concrete keystones located above each window
- projecting ornamental brick pattern along the roofline
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
1990/01/01 to 1990/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Developing Economies
- Technology and Engineering
Function - Category and Type
- Water or Sewage Facility
Architect / Designer
Waterloo Water Commission
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of Waterloo
100 Regina Street South
Waterloo, ON, N2J 4A8
Cross-Reference to Collection