St. Louis House
1579, Washington Street, Kars (City of Ottawa), Ontario, K4M, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Constructed in circa 1859, the St. Louis House is one of the first houses built in the village of Kars. Located in the heart of Kars, on the northwest corner of Nelson and Washington Streets, this two-storey clapboard house remains a tangible link to the earliest days of the village.
St. Louis House has been recognized for its heritage value by the former Township of Rideau, By-law 48/85, on 15 April 1985.
The heritage value of the St. Louis House, lies in its connection to the early days of Kars. It was probably built by A.J. Eastman, the founder of Kars. In 1852, Eastman built a steam-powered stone saw mill at the mouth of Stevens Creek. Within two years, Eastman had purchased 42 acres of land and, by 1856, plans for a village were drawn up. The St. Louis House was one of the first buildings to be constructed in the village.
Architecturally, it is a good example of the simple well built and well finished houses typical of village homes of the era, displaying local design, materials and craftsmanship.
Sources: City of Ottawa Files XD001–XMM3200/0003436; Rideau Township Archives, LACAC Files.
Character defining elements that define the heritage value of the St. Louis House include its:
- end-gable design with an off-centre door
- steeply-pitched gable roof
- wood frame construction with a clapboard exterior
- six over six windows
- verandah with turned posts and wagon wheel treillage, dating from the early 1900s.
- orientation in the heart of the village of Kars
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
Theme - Category and Type
- Peopling the Land
- Developing Economies
- Trade and Commerce
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
A. J. Eastman
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of Ottawa
110 Laurier Avenue West
Cross-Reference to Collection