The (James) Lindsay House
6836, Rideau Valley Drive South, Kars (City of Ottawa), Ontario, K0A, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Lindsay House is a one-and-a-half storey stone farm house, with a centre gable. The Lindsay House was built in 1850 and is located at 6836 Rideau Valley Drive South, near Kars.
The Rideau Township (now the City of Ottawa) recognizes the heritage values of the Lindsay House in By-law 31/79 on March 1, 1979.
The Lindsay House, located nears Kars, is associated with its original owner James Lindsay and to the early development in the former Township of North Gower. The Lindsay House was built in 1850 for James Lindsay, who was a prosperous wharfinger. Lindsay immigrated to Canada in 1820 and settled in the North Gower Township in 1829. Lindsay also went on to hold important positions in the township, such as the postmaster, Justice of the Peace, and Township Councillor for North Gower.
The Lindsay House demonstrates the role of the Rideau Canal in the early commercial development of the area. Lindsay's wharf and wharfhouse were vital in the settlement of the area. Lindsay's wharf was important to the commerce of the entire township, as wheat and timber, the two main exports, were shipped from there. It is reputed that some of the area's earliest settlers cut timber for British trade and established trade routes from the Stevens Creek and the Rideau River to Montreal and Quebec City.
The Lindsay House is a fine example of a one-and-a half storey front gabled farm house, typical of those built throughout the Rideau Valley. Built of limestone it features a symmetrical façade, a front gable and a plain frieze beneath the small boxed cornice. Scottish motifs decorate the front porch which is supported by six double posts. The centre gable features a round headed window above the simple front entrance.
Sources: Rideau Township Archives L.A.C.A.C. Files; City Of Ottawa File XD001-XMM3200/0003430.
Character defining elements that reflect the heritage value of the Lindsay House include its:
- limestone squared rubble exterior
- gable roof
- returned gables and slightly over-hanging eaves
- small boxed cornice and plain frieze beneath the eaves
- symmetrical façade
- central front gable
- double-hung two over two windows on the front façade and on both sides of the structure, articulated by vertical stonework
- front door bell with Scottish thistle and sunburst motifs
- open, sloped-roof porch on the front façade supported by six double posts with treillage
- Scottish motif treillage on the front porch
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
Theme - Category and Type
- Peopling the Land
- Developing Economies
- Trade and Commerce
- Developing Economies
- Technology and Engineering
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of Ottawa
110 Laurier Avenue West
Cross-Reference to Collection