74 Fort Point Road, Weymouth, Nova Scotia, B0W, Canada
Links and documents
1830/01/01 to 1835/01/01
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Fitzgerald House is a half-cape Greek Revival home situated next to the original Campbell family home in Weymouth North. The building and surrounding property are included in the designation.
The Fitzgerald House at Weymouth on Digby Neck is valued for its age, relatively unaltered condition, and association with the Campbell and Fitzgerald families. The house was built in the early 1830s on land owned by the Hon. Colin Campbell Sr. Campbell was a Loyalist lawyer who served as Collector of Customs, Judge of Probate, and represented Shelburne Township in the provincial legislature. The first resident of the house was Mary Killigrew, who probably was Campbell's nurse and maid and became owner of the home following Campbell's death in 1836. Upon Killigrew's death circa 1852 the house passed to Campbell's son, Colin Campbell who used it as a guest house and residence for his employees. Campbell Jr. was a successful merchant, shipbuilder and like his father, a Member of the Legislative Assembly. Campbell also founded a store at Weymouth, which continues today to serve as a store. Following his death in 1881 the house was sold to a locally well-known ship's captain Charles H. Fitzgerald.
Source: Built Heritage Inventory, Office of the Municipality of the District of Digby.
The exterior character-defining elements of the Fitzgerald House include: - sidelights around front door; - six-over-six windows; - cornice returns; - form and massing.
The interior character-defining elements of the Fitzgerald House include: - service window from kitchen to dining area; - large planked floors.
Local Governments (NS)
Heritage Property Act
Municipally Registered Property
Theme - Category and Type
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Built Heritage Inventory, Office of the Municipality of the District of Digby, P.O. Box 429, Digby, NS B0V 1A0.
Cross-Reference to Collection