Home / Accueil

Market Hall and Clock Tower

360 George Street, Peterborough, Ontario, K9H, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1977/06/06

Market Hall and Clock Tower after restoration, 2004; City of Peterborough, 2004
Market Hall and Clock Tower
No Image
No Image

Other Name(s)

n/a

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1889/01/01 to 1890/01/01

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2004/07/30

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

Constructed in 1889, the 2-storey, red brick Market Hall with its tall clock tower is the principal monument of Peterborough's historic downtown streetscape. It is recognized for its heritage value by City of Peterborough bylaw 1977-78.

Heritage Value

The heritage value of the Market Hall and Clock Tower resides in its importance as a market place and cultural facility to Peterborough for more than a century. It is an excellent example of the work of local architect John E. Belcher, and one of only a few 19th century Ontario market buildings still in existence. It is a landmark and valued example of late 19th century
commercial architecture. Mayor James Stevenson laid the cornerstone in the fall of 1889 and it officially opened in 1890. It was constructed by building contractor Thomas Rutherford. A farmer's market operated inside and outside the building for decades, until the advent of the modern supermarket curtailed business. Its importance to the community led to its restoration and re-purchase by the City in 2000. Source: Heritage Designation Brief, City of Peterborough Bylaw 1977-78

Character-Defining Elements

Key character defining elements of the historic place that embody its heritage value include the exterior features of the Market Hall and Clock Tower such as: -the cupola, bell, four clock faces, dormers, louvered openings,and metal cornices of the clock tower;-the tall window openings with two pane, double hung sash windows and half-round, multi-paned transoms;-the brick
pilasters separating the window bays;-the classical pediment on the west facade adorned with the City of Peterborough Coat of Arms;-the pedimented dormer on the south facade flanked on the east side by the clock tower, and on the west side by a corner tower with a pyramidal roof and corner finials;-the brick parapet wall running the length of the roof;-the boxed cornices above both the first and second floors;-the cast iron semi-circular door and window openings on the first floor

Recognition

Jurisdiction

Ontario

Recognition Authority

Local Governments (ON)

Recognition Statute

Ontario Heritage Act

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)

Recognition Date

1977/06/06

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

n/a

Theme - Category and Type

Function - Category and Type

Current

Commerce / Commercial Services
Shop or Wholesale Establishment
Leisure
Auditorium, Cinema or Nightclub

Historic

Commerce / Commercial Services
Market

Architect / Designer

John E. Belcher

Builder

Thomas Rutherford

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Heritage Preservation Office, City of Peterborough municipal office, File 1977-78

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

HPON04-16

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places