Description of Historic Place
The Middleton Water Pumping Station is located at 60 Middleton Street, on the west side of Middleton street, south of Francis Street and west of the Waterworks Park and the Grand River, in the former Town of Galt, now the City of Cambridge. This yellow-brick building was constructed between 1890 and 1891.
The property was designated, in 1997, for its architectural and historic value, by the City of Cambridge, under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law 211-97).
The Middleton Water Pumping Station, constructed between 1890 and 1891, was the first pumping station in the Town of Galt. Prior to its construction, manufacturers located near the Grand River were content to draw water from the river at a minimal cost and private wells providing clean drinking water were of abundance. As the town's boundaries grew, due to an increased population, the necessity for improved fire protection became more urgent. A. L. McCulloch, construction engineer, was placed in charge of construction, under the supervision of Willis Chipman, who had prepared the plans and specification of the works. Goldie and McCulloch Company supplied the stand pipe, engine, boiler, pumps, hydrants and valves.
The Middletown Water Pumping Station is reminiscent of the Norman architectural style and is similar to many other pumping stations, built in Ontario, at the end of the 20th Century. This station is constructed using yellow-brick, with a split limestone foundation. Norman architectural features include semi-elliptical arched windows, geometrically patterned stained glass windows and a conical-roofed tower.
Sources: City of Cambridge, By-law 211-97; City of Cambridge LACAC Building Description, October 26, 1984.
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of the Middleton Water Pumping Station include its:
- yellow-brick laid in common bond with a projecting brick frieze below the roofline, and projecting brickwork at the corners
- limestone foundation, coursed, with flush mortar joints, topped by a rock-faced limestone string course
- string course and window lug sills of a darker grey limestone than the foundation
- high pitched gable roof on the southern portion of the building and a higher pitched gable roof on the northern portion of the building
- conical roof on a central tower
- asphalt shingle on all roof surfaces
- two secondary entrances on the main façade: one in centre of southern portion, one in northern portion with metal-clad double-leaf doors, each with a single pane of clear glass in the upper portion and geometrically patterned stained glass transom
- semi-elliptical arched windows with radiating voussoirs in matching brick
- double hung windows with transom on the tower