Home / Accueil

Hiland House

23 Hawthorne St., St Stephen, New Brunswick, E3L, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2008/04/05

Front view; Town of St. Stephen
Hiland House
Side view; Town of St. Stephen
Hiland House
No Image

Other Name(s)

n/a

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2009/09/21

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Hiland House is a two-storey Classical Revival style residence located on Hawthorne Street in St. Stephen, New Brunswick.

Heritage Value

The Hiland House was designated a Local Heritage Place for its architecture and for its association with its former occupants.

The Hiland House is an example of Classical Revival-inspired vernacular architecture. This style is evident in the rectangular two-storey massing with a steep gable roof. The simple window surrounds, the clapboard siding and the corner boards are also indicative of this style. The interior of the house indicates it was a smaller structure when first built. Later changes are apparent in the ell extension, the gingerbread trim and drop finials under wide eaves and the wide shed dormers.

The property was purchased by John Warren Moore in 1856 from Ninian Lindsay. Mr. Moore built a small Classic Revival cottage on the property. Their daughter, Maria married Dr. Edward DeWolfe who owned the adjacent property. Following the death of Dr. DeWolfe in 1874, Maria sold the home to her father, J. Warren Moore. Maria occupied the smaller home, known as the “Dower House”, for which she had a life lease, until 1914 when she moved to Massachusetts. In her later years she returned to St. Stephen where she died in 1920 at the age of 85. John Warren Moore and Ninian Lindsay were Loyalists.

Source: St. Stephen Town Hall, Historic Places File, “Hiland House”

Character-Defining Elements

The character-defining elements relating to the Classical Revival style of the original portion of the Hiland House include:
- rectangular two-storey massing;
- clapboard siding;
- corner boards;
- steeply-pitched gable roof;
- simple window surrounds on rectangular double-sash 3-over-1 and 3-over-3 windows;
- brick foundation resting on quarried stone.

The character-defining elements relating to the later alterations include:
- rear ell addition;
- asymmetrical fenestration;
- wide overhanging eaves with gingerbread trim and drop finials at the gable peaks;
- shed dormers.

Recognition

Jurisdiction

New Brunswick

Recognition Authority

Local Governments (NB)

Recognition Statute

Local Historic Places Program

Recognition Type

Municipal Register of Local Historic Places

Recognition Date

2008/04/05

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

n/a

Theme - Category and Type

Peopling the Land
Migration and Immigration
Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type

Current

Residence
Single Dwelling

Historic

Architect / Designer

n/a

Builder

n/a

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

St. Stephen Town Hall - Historic Places files

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

1558

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places