Smith's Cove United Church
660 Highway No.1, Smith's Cove, Nova Scotia, B0S, Canada
Links and documents
1881/01/01 to 1885/01/01
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Smith's Cove United Church was originally built as a Methodist Church. It is a wooden church with a stone foundation and a steeply pitched roof. The central tower projects from the façade and has a center door, a stained glass window and tiered steeple. Both the church and the surrounding property are included in the heritage designation.
The heritage value of the Smith’s Cove United Church is tied to its history in the community. The church was originally built as a Methodist church between 1881 and 1885. Local resident Minerva Sulis was a strong proponent of the establishment of a Methodist church after she was refused communion at the local Baptist church. In 1925 the congregation voted to join the United Church of Canada and became known as the Smith’s Cove United Church. Presently the church serves as the offices for the Smith’s Cove Historical Society.
Source: Built Heritage Inventory, Office of the Municipality of the District of Digby.
The character-defining elements of Smith's Cove United Church include:
- form and massing;
- common Gothic hood mould over all windows;
- "V" pane at the top of all windows;
- steeply pitched roof;
- large steeple;
- uniform slanted cornices;
- An 1890 plaque in memory of a young man named Norman Poole who drowned in Smith's Cove;
- original kerosene lamps used to light the church;
- arched pews.
Local Governments (NS)
Heritage Property Act
Municipally Registered Property
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Religious Institutions
Function - Category and Type
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Built Heritage Inventory, Office of the Municipality of the District of Digby, P.O. Box 429, Digby, NS B0V 1A0
Cross-Reference to Collection