Links and documents
1837/01/01 to 1837/12/31
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Parker / Hawboldt House was built in 1837 by Charles Parker on lands originally deeded to his grandfather. The property is set well back from the road on a rise at the north side of the highway that runs east-west through Belleisle, Nova Scotia and affords a fine view of the Annapolis River to the south. The structure is a typical example of the Nova Scotia vernacular style with Greek Revival and Gothic Revival elements. Both the house and property are included in the municipal heritage description.
Situated on a large picturesque lot, The Parker / Hawboldt House is valued as a distinctive example of the vernacular style with strong Greek Revival and Gothic Revival elements.
The one-and-a-half storey wooden structure was constructed in 1837 on the original Abijah Parker lands by his grandson, Charles Parker. Abijah Parker was a New England Planter from Lunenburg, Worchester County, Massachusetts and in keeping with his Planter heritage, Charles Parker also farmed the land. Consecutive Parker family generations occupied the house, two of the family members becoming quite prominent. Harry G. Parker was High Sheriff of Annapolis County, NS, from 1946 to 1962, while his brother, E. T. Parker was appointed to the Supreme Court of Nova Scotia in 1948 and held that post for many years. The Parker / Hawboldt property was owned by the Parker family from the time of the issue of the original land grant dated 1759 until 1969, spanning a period of more than two hundred years.
The structure has a medium pitched end-gable roof with return eaves, pilasters and a large central chimney. The three-bay symmetrical façade has an enclosed projecting central entranceway with a return eave gable roof, sidelights and pilasters. The six-over-six windows are topped with flat hoods. The building is constructed of hand-hewn timbers connected by lap joints and wooden pegs.
The heritage value of the property lies in the longevity of its presence in Belleisle, N.S., its aesthetically noteworthy and solidly crafted structural components and its historic associations with both the land and its people.
Source: Heritage Property File no. OIBNS00525, Municipality of the County of Annapolis, 752 St. George Street, Annapolis Royal, N. S., B0S 1A0
Character-defining elements of the Parker / Hawboldt House are associated with its Nova Scotia vernacular style with Greek Revival and Gothic Revival elements and include:
-medium-pitched end-gable roof with return eaves;
-large central chimney;
-three-bay symmetrical façade;
-enclosed projecting central entrance way with a return eave gable roof and sidelights;
-Greek Revival influence in finely proportioned pilasters;
-six-over-six windows topped with flat hoods;
-construction of hand-hewn timbers connected by lap joints and wooden pegs;
-location of the property on the original farm-grant lot.
Local Governments (NS)
Heritage Property Act
Municipally Registered Property
Theme - Category and Type
- Peopling the Land
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
- Food Supply
- Farm or Ranch
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Municipality of the County of Annapolis, Municipal Administration Building, 752 St. George Street, Annapolis Royal, N. S., B0S 1A0
Cross-Reference to Collection