The Williams House
1126, John Street, Ottawa, City of, Ontario, K4M, Canada
The Williams House
The Caiger House
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Williams House was built, in 1872, as a residence at 1126 John St., in the Village of Manotick, now a part of the City of Ottawa. A sizeable addition was built onto the back of the house, in 1880.
The Williams House is recognized for its heritage value by the Township of Rideau (now the City of Ottawa), By-law 45/84.
This red brick house reflects important commercial development in late nineteenth and early twentieth century Manotick. All that remains of the early history of this lot is in the house itself. Mr. John Williams built this residence and owned it until 1935. John worked for his father and brother, Henry and George Williams on Main Street (5544 and 5541). In 1880, John Williams had constructed a large addition onto the back of the original house that housed a bakery in the basement. Bread was sold from the basement bake shop as well as from Mr. William's hand cart, which delivered to village homes. The basement of the addition has retained some of the features of the old bake shop; the ovens and stoking box, patented in 1880, remain set in the old bricks.
When John Williams retired to Montreal in 1900, he rented the house to a series of doctors; McKay, Bolten and finally Dr. Leach. Between 1900 and about 1920, the house was altered to fit the new occupation of a doctor's office and residence.
When Dr. Leach bought his house on Main Street, this house was rented to a family named Lewis who was the last tenants. Empty for four years, the Hall family bought this residence in 1930 and added waterworks, a back sun porch, arched entranceways and the fireplace in the living room. The bricks for the fireplace chimney were taken from the back of the bake oven. Dr. MacOdrum (second president of Carleton University) owned the house from 1948 to 1955 when he sold it to Mr. and Mrs. David Laird.
Sources: Rideau Township Archives LACAC files, City of Ottawa (3414); The Township of Rideau (now the City of Ottawa), By-law 45/84.
Character defining elements that reflect the heritage value of the Williams House include the:
- north, south and west windows white decorative mouldings
- north and west leaded windows
- gingerbread trim
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Education and Social Well-Being
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of Ottawa
110 Laurier Avenue West
Cross-Reference to Collection