Home / Accueil

The Williams House

1126, John Street, Ottawa, City of, Ontario, K4M, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1984/05/22

Detailed view of the entrance to the Williams House.; RHI 2006
The Williams House
Side elevation of the Williams House.; RHI 2006
The Williams House
Front view of the Williams House.; RHI 2006
The Williams House

Other Name(s)

The Williams House
The Caiger House

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2009/10/27

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Williams House was built, in 1872, as a residence at 1126 John St., in the Village of Manotick, now a part of the City of Ottawa. A sizeable addition was built onto the back of the house, in 1880.

The Williams House is recognized for its heritage value by the Township of Rideau (now the City of Ottawa), By-law 45/84.

Heritage Value

This red brick house reflects important commercial development in late nineteenth and early twentieth century Manotick. All that remains of the early history of this lot is in the house itself. Mr. John Williams built this residence and owned it until 1935. John worked for his father and brother, Henry and George Williams on Main Street (5544 and 5541). In 1880, John Williams had constructed a large addition onto the back of the original house that housed a bakery in the basement. Bread was sold from the basement bake shop as well as from Mr. William's hand cart, which delivered to village homes. The basement of the addition has retained some of the features of the old bake shop; the ovens and stoking box, patented in 1880, remain set in the old bricks.

When John Williams retired to Montreal in 1900, he rented the house to a series of doctors; McKay, Bolten and finally Dr. Leach. Between 1900 and about 1920, the house was altered to fit the new occupation of a doctor's office and residence.

When Dr. Leach bought his house on Main Street, this house was rented to a family named Lewis who was the last tenants. Empty for four years, the Hall family bought this residence in 1930 and added waterworks, a back sun porch, arched entranceways and the fireplace in the living room. The bricks for the fireplace chimney were taken from the back of the bake oven. Dr. MacOdrum (second president of Carleton University) owned the house from 1948 to 1955 when he sold it to Mr. and Mrs. David Laird.

Sources: Rideau Township Archives LACAC files, City of Ottawa (3414); The Township of Rideau (now the City of Ottawa), By-law 45/84.

Character-Defining Elements

Character defining elements that reflect the heritage value of the Williams House include the:
- north, south and west windows white decorative mouldings
- north and west leaded windows
- gingerbread trim




Recognition Authority

Local Governments (ON)

Recognition Statute

Ontario Heritage Act

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Building Social and Community Life
Education and Social Well-Being

Function - Category and Type


Single Dwelling


Architect / Designer



John Williams

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

City of Ottawa 110 Laurier Avenue West Ottawa, Ontario K1P 1J1

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places