Home / Accueil

McClary Cottage (95 High Street)

95, High, City of London, Ontario, N6C, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1990/11/05

Of note is the close proximity of the McClary House (left) to the McClary Cottages (right).; Emily Elliot, 2008.
Context, McClary House, 2008
Of note is the hip roof and full veranda.; Emily Elliot, 2008.
Facade, McClary Cottage, 2008
No Image

Other Name(s)

McClary Cottage (95 High Street)
95 High Street

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2009/11/18

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The McClary Cottage, located at 95 High Street, is near the northwest corner of McClary Avenue and High Street in the City of London. The one-and-a-half-storey white brick cottage was constructed circa 1882.

The property was designated by the City of London in 1990 for its heritage value under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law 3101-396).

Heritage Value

The McClary residences, twin cottages at 95 and 97 High Street, and the McClary House at 53 McClary are representative of the success and wealth of the McClary family. Located prominently at the intersection of McClary and High Streets, they are a valuable visual linkage to this chapter in London's history.

John McClary and his brother Oliver established the McClary Manufacturing Company in 1847. The company produced the famous McClary stoves as well as kitchen utensils, plows, harrows and other farm machinery. The company was one of the largest employers in London and had an international reputation.

John McClary had the McClary Cottages at 95 and 97 High Street built for his daughters as wedding presents. They were designed by local architect Samuel Peters who was also London's first City Engineer. The two cottages were built as mirror images of one another and were built in close proximity to John McClary's residence at 53 McClary Avenue. 95 High Street was built circa 1882 for Theresa McClary Gunn who married William Gunn. Gunn worked in insturance, but after marrying Theresa he began working at the McClary Manufacturing Company. The house remained in the McClary family until 1923.

Built circa 1882, the McClary Cottage reflects the Regency Revival style. Typical of this style is the symmetrical house plan, hip roof and full verandah. Decorative features include the cornice in a cut out pattern and brick voussoirs. The interior of the house reflects the wealth of the McClary family. The entrance hall has parquet floors and a decorative ceiling medallion. Also of note are the three original fireplaces with faux-marble finishes.

Source: City of London By-law 3101-396

Character-Defining Elements

Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of the exterior of the McClary Cottage include its:
- one-and-a-half-storey white brick construction
- hip roof
- dormer gables
- full veranda
- symmetrical house plan
- cornice in a cut out pattern
- brick voussoirs
- double brick chimneys
- parquet floors
- wood ornamentation
- ceiling medallion in the front hall
- three original fireplaces with faux-marble finish
- close proximity to 53 McClary Avenue and 97 High Street




Recognition Authority

Local Governments (ON)

Recognition Statute

Ontario Heritage Act

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type


Multiple Dwelling


Single Dwelling

Architect / Designer

Samuel Peters



Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

City of London Planning and Development 300 Dufferin Avenue London, ON N6A 4L9

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places