165, Queen, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, L0S, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The McDougal-Harrison House, is an attractive two-storey Regency townhouse, located at 165 Queen Street in the Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake. The original structure was built by Adam Crysler circa 1820, and a brick and clapboard extension was added to the rear of the house circa 1830-1840.
The property was designated by the Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake in 2003 for its heritage value under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law 3722-03).
The McDougal-Harrison House was the residence of two prominent local citizens for whom the house was named; Daniel McDougal, a prominent merchant, public servant and founding member of the St. Vincent de Paul congregation; and William H. Harrison, who was Mayor of Niagara three times in 1915, 1924 and 1925.
The striking architecture of the McDougal-Harrison House distinguishes it from neighbouring buildings. Most notable is its arcaded facade; double brick arcades are characteristic of Regency buildings that are row or townhouses but are unusual in a single dwelling house. The two-storey red-brick town house includes a side hall plan, gable roof, and a two-storey brick addition at the rear with a clapboard extension, dating back to 1830-1840. The crow step gables and the two brick end chimneys rising from the gables, leaves the impression that it was intended to be one of a row of similar houses that were never built.
Other architectural features include the windows on the front façade which are 12 over 12 with flat brick arches constructed of upright voussoirs. The front entrance consists of a six panel door with a semi elliptical transom and sidelights set into the arch of the ground floor arcade and surmounted by brick voussoirs. Elegant fluted pilasters with finely moulded caps separate the sidelights from the door. The transom is considered one of the most ornamental and complex in Niagara-on-the-Lake and is filled with an intricate curved lozenge pattern of metal cames and ornamental lead rosettes. Interior features of value include the original ornate mantelpiece found in the front parlour, similar to the one in the Rogers-Blake-Harrison House next door, and the arched alcoves with fluted pilasters and decorative wooden keystones on either side of the fireplace.
The arcaded façade of the McDougal-Harrison House is similar to the Cameron-Farren House on King Street and the Stewart McLeod House on Prideaux Street. This pattern may have been a result of a claim by John Goldie, a visitor in 1818, who stated that the only building worthy of notice was the old court house and jail because of the arcaded details.
Source: By-Law 3722-03, Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake, 2003.
Character defining elements that reflect the heritage value of the McDougal-Harrison House include its:
- double brick arcaded façade
- crow step gables at the roof ends with two brick end chimneys rising from the gables
- six panel door with a semi elliptical transom and sidelights set into the arch of the ground floor arcade, surmounted by brick voussoirs
- elegant fluted pilasters with finely moulded caps
- transom filled with intricate curved lozenge pattern of metal cames and ornamental lead rosettes
- 12 over 12 original windows with flat brick arches constructed of upright voussoirs
- original mantelpieces and fireplaces
- arched alcoves with fluted pilasters and prominent and decorative wooden keystones
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
Theme - Category and Type
- Peopling the Land
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Planning and Development Department
Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake Municipal Offices
1593 Four Mile Creek Road, P.O. Box 100
Virgil, Ontario, L0S 1T0
Cross-Reference to Collection