157, Albert Street, Waterloo, Ontario, N2L, Canada
157 Albert Street
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Good-Shantz-Bosch House is located at 157 Albert Street, adjacent to Wilfred Laurier University, between University Avenue West and Bricker Avenue, in the City of Waterloo. The two-storey building was designed in the Georgian style, and was constructed in circa 1846.
The property was designated, for its historic and architectural value, by the City of Waterloo, under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act, By-law 85-6.
The Good-Shantz-Bosch House is significant for its association with Joseph Good. The property on which Good erected his Georgian style home in 1846 was part of a large farm purchased by his father, John Good, from Samuel Bricker in circa 1810, as part of a 148-acre parcel of land. Years later, the home and property were purchased by Allen Shantz, who, after 1896, undertook a series of extensive renovations, ultimately converting the home to its present late Victorian appearance.
The Good-Shantz-Bosch House has retained some of the original structure and displays many outstanding features, such as the doors, floors and exterior. Other significant details include the moulded trim and authentic shutters, eared window pediments, blind attic window, and return eaves on the front gable. In the extensive renovations by Allen Shantz, the entrance was altered and the semi-circular veranda, with its newel posts topped by cannon ball finials, was added to enhance the building's appearance. Fundamental changes to the roofline and the addition of a stained glass parlour window also helped to convert the once simple Georgian style home to its present late Victorian appearance.
Sources: “Designated Landmarks - City of Waterloo”, LACAC, 1995; By-Law 85-6, City of Waterloo.
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of the Good-Shantz-Bosch House include its:
- renovations undertaken by Allen Shantz, which ultimately converted the home from the Georgian to Victorian style of architecture
- entire exterior with the exception of the west elevation
- stained glass upper portion of the large first floor window
- semi-circular veranda
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
1985/01/01 to 1985/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Peopling the Land
Function - Category and Type
- Post-Secondary Institution
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of Waterloo
100 Regina Street South
Waterloo, ON N2J 4A8
Cross-Reference to Collection