98, Church, Town of Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada
98 Church Street East
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Beatty House, located at 98 Church Street East, is on the south side of Church Street, east of Elgin Street South, in Acton, Town of Halton Hills. The two storey brick residence was constructed in 1896.
The property was designated by the Town of Halton Hills in 1992 for its heritage value under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law 1992-0065).
The Beatty House, formally known as Moorecroft, is associated with significant figures in Acton's early history. Henry Philip Moore purchased the property from his father and decided to erect a new house in 1896. The house was designed by Toronto architect J.A. Ellis and built by John Cameron, who built many homes and businesses in Acton. Moore was the editor and owner of Acton's local newspaper, The Free Press. He was also the president of the Canadian Press Association. When Moore moved into the new house, he named it “Moorecroft”. After his death in 1931, Moorecroft was sold to Wesley J. Beatty, and it was dubbed the Beatty House. Beatty, another prominent local figure, was the manager of the Acton Tanning Company and also the county chairman of the Progressive Conservatives.
The Beatty House is a good representation of the Queen Anne style of architecture. This style is typified by an irregular asymmetrical silhouette with two storey bays, multi-sloped roofs and tall decorated chimneys. Of particular note is the shallow curved two storey bay window.
Source: Town of Halton Hills, By-law 1992-0065.
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of Beatty House include its:
- two storey red brick exterior
- multi-sloped roof
- decorated chimneys
- second storey balcony
- shallow curved two storey bay window
- wood ionic style columns
- sandstone lintels and sills
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
Theme - Category and Type
- Peopling the Land
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
J. A. Ellis
Location of Supporting Documentation
The Corporation of the Town of Halton Hills
Corporate Services Department - Clerks
1 Halton Hills Drive
Halton Hills, ON
Cross-Reference to Collection