Description of Historic Place
This one-and-one-half storey wood framed and wood shingled house reflects the Maritime Vernacular style with its wide gable roof and large centred dormer. A porch extends from the front elevation directly below the dormer. Another gable roofed section extends at the back of the house with a shed roofed dormer attached to it.
This Maritime Vernacular style house is valued for its historical association with the early history of Stratford.
Constructed in 1840, it was the site of Glen Stewart Farm which was established by the Burke family. For a few years in the 1870s, the house was occupied by Robert (1811-1878) and Augusta May (1812-1875). The Mays had emigrated from England in 1862. Robert May died in England, while the rest of the family, Augusta and her daughters, Harriet (d. 1918) and Emma (d. 1901), are interred in the Anglican cemetery in Stratford.
The noted PEI architect, William Critchlow Harris and his brother, the painter, Robert Harris are known to have visited the house when the Mays lived there. W.C. Harris notes in his diary that in 1872 he and his sister, Sarah, crossed the harbour from Charlottetown to Southport (now part of Stratford) on board the steamer "Ora" to visit the Mays. While there, they played croquet, had a "bountiful meal", and sang songs into the twilight hours.
By 1880, Meacham's Atlas of PEI shows William Burke (1833-1902) as then residing on the property. Shortly after this time, Glen Stewart Farm became the property of William's brother, James Burke (1847-1895) and his wife Mary (Burhoe) Burke. They established a market garden on the farm which grew produce to sell in Charlottetown's Market which was located in Queen Square on the site of the current Confederation Centre of the Arts.
When James passed away in 1895, his son, Arthur, who was then only sixteen, took over the business. He continued to operate the market garden until 1930.
In the 1940s, the house was purchased by Dr. J.P. Lantz. He was a graduate of McGill's medical school, but was known on PEI for his award winning Aberdeen Angus and Jersey cattle.
The current owners purchased the house in 1964. During renovations, they discovered that copies of the "London Times" from the 1840s had been applied to the original walls as a form of insulation.
Although renovated over the years, the house retains elements of its original design and has many important historical associations.
Source: Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Tourism and Culture, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/S28
The heritage value of the house is shown in the following character-defining elements:
- the location of the house on its original site with a stone and brick foundation
- the one-and-one-half storey massing and wood frame construction
- the wood shingle cladding
- the gable roofline with brick chimney
- the large centred dormer
- the variety of six-over-six windows
- the porch additions